Water Heater Sacrificial Anode after 94 days use

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This anode was new before our winter trip. I am surprised how much of the sacrificial anode has corroded away in such a short time. The water in Arizona tastes like minerals so I'm guessing that's where most of the sacrificing happened. I will put this one back in and use it again.

Has anyone used a spray wand to remove the sediment from the tank? How much did you see come out?

4FBD17FD-5D6C-4F35-AFB2-A840C61A38EE.jpeg

Previous anode after about 100 days and the water heater sitting full during the warm months.

Last edited:
I think the water is hard everywhere in Arizona. Our little 6 gal. water heater didn't have an anode and I discovered it didn't come with one and supposedly doesn't need it. I used a little spray wand in the heater and didn't get much out. A tip with a 90 degree bend or more to push anything out would work better.

I discovered it didn't come with one and supposedly doesn't need it.
I wonder why they say it doesn't need one? I would think the tank would be subject to corrosion like any other water heater.

I think the water is hard everywhere in Arizona. Our little 6 gal. water heater didn't have an anode and I discovered it didn't come with one and supposedly doesn't need it. I used a little spray wand in the heater and didn't get much out. A tip with a 90 degree bend or more to push anything out would work better.

Can you not just replace the drain plug with one that has an anode rod attached to it? That's all mine is on a 6-gallon tank.

I wonder why they say it doesn't need one? I would think the tank would be subject to corrosion like any other water heater.
Forget what it said, lined with something different? I'll look it up. If it doesn't need one not going to add more maintenance items.