Vehicle Maintenance and Upgrades

ctechbob

Sadly, no pictures. I'm not sure how YouTube guys manage it, especially the ones that do the filming themselves. I can't be buggered to pick up my phone and shoot a couple pictures as I'm working. Anyway.....

Finally got around to installing the Bilstein 5100's I bought for the front of the Ranger a few months ago. I had wanted the 4600's since they are cheaper, and I have no need for the leveling ability of the 5100's. The 4600's appear to be on perpetual backorder though, so I paid the extra for the 5100's. According to the Bilstein tech department, at least for my truck, the 4600 and 5100's are valved exactly the same. I've had 5100's on the rear since about 5000 miles and adding the fronts wasn't as big of a change, but it is still a nice change over the FX2 package shocks which are both too soft and crashy at the same time. No idea how Ford managed that. Easy job, wish I had a lift though. And I'm blessed with a 'no rust' climate. Don't tell ford, I reused all my nuts I took off, they want them to be one-time-use. I always go with a little blue loctite though just as a precaution.

Also replaced the DPFE sensor in the truck. They get water in them and go bad over time leading the funky surging in the engine. Gets worse over time, but will only throw a code when they get REAL bad. Not sure why they don't put a dessicant in the tube, but that's thinking with your brain.

Finally, it was almost time for the every 5000 mile oil change. Some gorilla (me) must have been feeling their Wheaties when I did the last oil change. Just about didn't get the stupid filter off. And I have never needed a tool to take mine off. Not sure why I superman'ed it on this last time.

I might throw my chrome Lariat wheels on since my tires are getting worn, but other than that 'Lil Blue' is ready to go on our Tennessee trip here in 2 weeks. This will be our first 'cool climate' adventure, so I should probably go get the one propane tank I've been using for 2 years now topped up. Be interesting to see how much is in it.

Also replaced the DPFE sensor in the truck.
What is a DPFE sensor?

Not sure why I superman'ed it on this last time.
When I was a kid, I would over tighten everything. Now, it's to the proper torque spec. Life is so much simpler when you don't break or strip bolts/nuts/fixtures.

This will be our first 'cool climate' adventure
Cool? Lows in the 40s? When we went to Fort Collins last winter, we thought we were in for a cool to chilly month. What we got was a couple nights of -16F and two days with the highs < 0F. Bring lots of propane!

What is a DPFE sensor?

When I was a kid, I would over tighten everything. Now, it's to the proper torque spec. Life is so much simpler when you don't break or strip bolts/nuts/fixtures.

Cool? Lows in the 40s? When we went to Fort Collins last winter, we thought we were in for a cool to chilly month. What we got was a couple nights of -16F and two days with the highs < 0F. Bring lots of propane!
Differential Pressure Feedback according to Ford. Measures flow by means of a pressure transducer. Problem is, they get moist over time and start to fail, so the PCM doesn't see the right signal and adjusts the EGR incorrectly causing rough running and surging.

You can see the moisture around the actual sensor in the pic below of the one I took off and tore apart. Not sure why they couldn't put some dessicant in the tube to absorb the moisture, but I'm not an engineer. There is no flow through the piece, just differing pressures on each side. I'm guessing the moisture gets into the substrate of that sensor and changes the electrical properties of it and throws things out of whack.

What REALLY sucks is it used to be a $19 sensor and the price has now shot up to almost $70. Yea, its not a pile, but it bugs me that you really need to replace them every 30k or so. Comon Ford, you can do better.

1696893134025.jpg

I learned long ago to use a smaller wrench on most everything or I'd overtighten it. Why I put the filter on that tight I'll never know, but the new one is gasket contact plus 1/2 turn so I should be able to spin it right off in 5K.

Lol, 'cool' in regards to having lived in the south for the last 26 years. Grew up in PA and never really want to go back to that. I'm good with jeans and a jacket, but I'd prefer to live somewhere with nice scenery and shorts and t-shirt weather year round. :)

Not sure why they couldn't put some dessicant in the tube to absorb the moisture, but I'm not an engineer.
Maybe they will come out with a revised version that doesn't have the moisture problem.

I'm good with jeans and a jacket, but I'd prefer to live somewhere with nice scenery and shorts and t-shirt weather year round. :)
Well, we got half way there by moving to Colorado.

How does the moisture get in? It looks sealed.
Through the tubes it is hooked to, although just from the one side. I haven't gotten around to looking to see where that side connects, I think one side is referenced to the intake tract, which if that is the case, then that's where it would be coming from.

Just haven't done a lot of research into it just yet, I too am curious where it fits in the grand scheme of things.

Man, does a camera make it look like I never clean the underside of the truck.

Wait, I guess I never really do. Still better than rust though!!

IMG_20231009_211318623.jpg