Truck shopping :70

Azjeff

We've been looking around locally and there's nothing to see. Chevy dealer had one standard cab 8' work truck that we drove, GMC had a Denali Duramax crew being delivered that we just looked at, Ford F250s, Ram not on the table. They never have the truck I want anyhow, base model with some functional options and a rubber floor. The GMC dealer just got a 2017 Sierra 2500HD double cab work truck 4x4 with 21k miles, 6.0, good condition, they want $40k for and it will be gone. I can order the 2021 crew cab 4x4 I'd want for just over $49k MSRP hello. Based on advice here I built a 3500 and oddly the packages and options are different and I can't get what I'd want.

Something else interesting is the hood design on the new Silverado 2500 is noticeably higher than on the Sierra affecting already sketchy close-in front visibility. This is important to us because my boss takes her turn driving when we're doing long days and this next truck will be our daily for out of town trips. Not an ideal time to be buying with the supply/demand problem but we want to have our kit sorted and ready to roll by early spring so we'll see. And CD players are gone, not even an option.

And the 6.6 uses 5w-30 ;)

Based on advice here I built a 3500 and oddly the packages and options are different and I can't get what I'd want.
We found a High Country 3500HD at a local dealer that mostly sales to commercial customers. They had this truck on their lots for 4 months, which was intolerable to them, as they are used to turning inventory over quickly. We got what I believe was a good deal and am glad we bought before the supply/demand problems. There is almost no way we would get the same truck for the same price now. The High Country comes with almost all of Chevy's options and I can say we aren't missing anything we would want and use pretty much all of the options it has. We are happy with the truck.

Something else interesting is the hood design on the new Silverado 2500 is noticeably higher than on the Sierra affecting already sketchy close-in front visibility.
My biggest complaint about the truck. Ours is a 2018, so it's not as ugly as the 2020 and newer, but the visibility over the hood is less than desirable. I've operated large machinery with better visibility, seriously. Supposedly the reason the front ends on HD trucks are so large is a necessity because of the need for heat rejection. You want 450HP and 1000 lb/ft torque, then you need a large radiator with lots of air flow. Then they try to style it so it doesn't look like brutalist architecture. They didn't succeed.
And CD players are gone, not even an option.
The nice thing about new vehicles is Carplay and the like. Connect your phone and play anything from any streaming service you want. I don't miss carrying CDs.

And the 6.6 uses 5w-30
One simple fact that would make for a 100 post thread on BITOG. :)

I've looked on Cars.com, which with advanced search is a great place to find a used vehicle. HD truck prices are sky high. It will get better, hopefully soon.

I'm likely going to order something. There isn't as much profit in low trim trucks with fewer packages and options so they never want deal much off of MSRP. I was around the car biz for a bit so somewhat familiar how it works. If I can get fair trade-in we might do it.

Do you think you’ll go gas or diesel?
Definitely gas. Had the 07 diesel and it was awesome but not again. This next truck will be the limiting factor in the size of any other trailer we might get on purpose. I shouldn't be pulling bigger as I get older.

I'm in the market sometime in the next 6-12 months. Gas only, as the newer diesel repair risks are high. I don't put many miles on a tow vehicle so , a 10k repair bill on a low mileage out of warranty truck is not something i want.

I only have 85k on my 03 avalanche.

40k for a 17 w/t!!! I got my 17 3500HD LT rubber floors, 4x4, crew cab long bed with 27,000 miles in June of 19 for 36500.
It is crazy right now. My 6.0 uses 5w-30. I like how my 2017 looks, but like Wayne said the big hood hurts viability a bit.
What I can say is the 6.0 L96 is bullet proof. No afm and the 6L90E is much better than the 6L80E. I have been really happy with my LS powered stuff.
My retirement truck will be a diesel.

Last edited:
Gas only, as the newer diesel repair risks are high. I don't put many miles on a tow vehicle so , a 10k repair bill on a low mileage out of warranty truck is not something i want.
I agree with your reasoning. We put 42,000 miles on in the last two 2.5 years and so far am happy with the diesel, but it only tows and is never driven as a daily driver. If we were only putting a few thousand miles/year, then where would be no way to justify a diesel.

Yes my truck will be used for towing only, i will probably keep the avalanche for other work.

I like the 7.3 ford pushrod engine, but i can't get past the aluminum bed, i can't see that working for me, as i haul a lot of wood and other things, like trimming limbs, i can see it looking bad pretty fast.

Most people don't use trucks as trucks and thats ok, so the aluminum bed probably works fine, but not for me.

i can't get past the aluminum bed, i can't see that working for me, as i haul a lot of wood and other things, like trimming limbs, i can see it looking bad pretty fast.
How about with a thick rubber bed liner? I've seen some that would go a long way to protecting the bed.

How about with a thick rubber bed liner? I've seen some that would go a long way to protecting the bed.
I stand in my bed and cut limbs along the driveway, long wooded driveway. Limbs hit the top of the bed and sides. I use my truck as a truck lol.

That would dent like crazy vs steel.