The variety of places you can stay if you have a RV...

esmith2039

This is why I love our RV.. we can stay pretty much anywhere. Missouri State Fair, Stockton Lake and in the middle of nowhere Illinois. We did stay at gma's for a day also. With our new 400w of solar we didn't plug in once last weekend, with fall coming it's cool enough to get away from the AC.

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

We've stayed in many different venues that allow overnight parking, including; Living History Farms in Des Moines, Wineries, Breweries, Museums, The Golden Spike visitors center in North Platte, NE, and yes even a few WalMarts, but never truck stops. We do plan on doing more boondocking after we retire. We really enjoy taking our house with us on the road :)

I really enjoy just stopping anywhere where I am allowed to park. Having a passenger van, I find safe places to park overnight and sleep or spend the day enjoying the view.
I have spent overnights at walmart up north in MI where a spot is hard to find and expensive.

I'm still working on the wife to warm her up to stay in places that aren't parks. Mainly because we are planning a big bucket list trip for 2025 that will be much easier if I can get her to agree to overnight in Walmarts/Cracker Barrels on the way up there.

I'm still working on the wife to warm her up to stay in places that aren't parks. Mainly because we are planning a big bucket list trip for 2025 that will be much easier if I can get her to agree to overnight in Walmarts/Cracker Barrels on the way up there.
Make sure you call ahead and talk to the manager to make sure you can stay there overnight. We found that the overnight parking apps aren't very up to date. Several times we pulled into a parking lot to be greeted by a "NO RVs" sign. When I walked in to talk to the manager, they said something like, "We had to stop allowing overnight parking, because the city stopped allowing it".

Make sure you call ahead and talk to the manager to make sure you can stay there overnight. We found that the overnight parking apps aren't very up to date. Several times we pulled into a parking lot to be greeted by a "NO RVs" sign. When I walked in to talk to the manager, they said something like, "We had to stop allowing overnight parking, because the city stopped allowing it".
Yep, that will be on the to-do list a couple of months out. Luckily there is wiggle room in the schedule and a selection of places at the planned stops that should mean that if #1 doesn't work out, then #2-5 up or down the road will.

You could also look at Harvest Hosts for places to stay along the route. We pay the annual fee that has paid for itself every year.

We rarely stay at Walmarts even if it's allowed. Small town muffler shops must be rarity. Or it's the street sweepers. Right now with the boys we look for a KOA or similar. Let them play in the pool and unwind.

Small town muffler shops must be rarity.
And all the teenage boys and their cars without mufflers hang out in the WalMart parking lots until all hours of the night.
Or a refer with the refrigerator engine starting and stopping all night.

Right now with the boys we look for a KOA or similar. Let them play in the pool and unwind.
Great plan, within 30 minutes of being out of the pool, they have crashed.