The importance of a proper ground

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Our 5th wheel has the Bigfoot hydraulic leveling system by Quadra, which came installed from the factory. The system has been really good, except for one small issue. During the auto level routine the rear jacks would sometimes stop with a low voltage message on the controller screen. Usually all you had to do is restart the leveling routine and it would finish.

I called Bigfoot to ask for help troubleshooting. They said if the controller says low voltage, then there is almost certainly low voltage. They focused on the batteries, but the batteries were new. The batter voltage at the Bigfoot controller was 13.2 with no load. How could this be?

I asked my EE friend what he thought and he said, look for a poor ground. One thing I noticed is that both the trailer frame and the jacks were painted before the jacks were installed. However, the jacks are bolted on with half inch bolts, so I thought this would be a good enough ground. The problem is that all of the interface surfaces are painted and the bolts only touch the painted surfaces. Maybe there was not a good ground path to from the electric motors on the jacks to the steel trailer frame?

I decided to run a grounding strap between the grounded side of the motor to the steel trailer from, which would bypass the painted interface between the jack and the trailer. Guess what? The ground straps fixed the problem of the leveling routine stoppage and the motors ran faster.

The devil is in the details. I did let the plant manager know about the poor ground situation and he said they would start putting bonding straps between the jack motor and the frame.

Both sides are now bonded to the generator carrier frame, which is welded to the trailer frame.
IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

And your coach is one of the 'higher end' brands. I have on my to-do list a long hard look at some of the electrical in my budget camper. I'm sure there are improvements to be made. I know just by glancing at the big junction box near the front that I'm not going to want to see what is behind the cover.

Could always pick up some of these to make it look more professional, although with your climate, I'd be more inclined to make some out of a good 10 AWG wire with crimp/solder and a good heat shrink to keep the salt at bay if any were to get in there.

1696899594279.png

And your coach is one of the 'higher end' brands.
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to have to discover this myself and teach them what I found.

Could always pick up some of these to make it look more professional
That was my intent and will get this done at some point. I wanted to see if this would help.

I'd be more inclined to make some out of a good 10 AWG wire with crimp/solder and a good heat shrink to keep the salt at bay if any were to get in there
Our goal is to never ever pull this trailer or drive the truck on salt. So far we never have.

I just got done with a week-long conversation with Cherokee. After the last trip, I was dragging a grey wire in a spot where there really shouldn't have been any wires. It managed to get stuck under one of the tank straps and drug on the road.

After going back and forth with them and testing everything electrical in the coach I could think of the conclusion is that it was a wire left over from production.