The Gasser thread

You know what else kills the Chevy...3.73 vs the Ford 4.30s.
It is like GM is trying to push you into a diesel.

It does kinda look that way, but I wonder if it could have anything to do with fleet fuel economy? The 4.30s will almost certainly get a bit less fuel economy. Are 3/4 ton trucks subject to fleet fuel economy standards? The 1 ton trucks are not from what I understand.

In the Ford 6.2L trucks, you'd think the 4.30 gears would kill the fuel economy over the 3.73 gears. Not so, though. Generally the groups whom own each have very similar MPG rates. Of course, they typically all suck gas, because they mostly end up in work trucks where work comes before mpg anyway.

You know what else kills the Chevy...3.73 vs the Ford 4.30s.
BTW - in this IKE test you linked, that Ford 6.2L test truck is actually equipped with the 3.73 gears! (he mentions the gears at around 6:05 min into the video). And yet it was still fastest up the hill; a bit quicker than the GM and WAY faster than the Ram.

Last edited:
BTW - in this IKE test you linked, that Ford 6.2L test truck is actually equipped with the 3.73 gears! (he mentions the gears at around 6:05 min into the video). And yet it was still fastest up the hill; a bit quicker than the GM and WAY faster than the Ram.
I couldn't find the one where it was equipped like the GM. 4 door and 4.30s. The results were similar. The have two test with the 6.0/6L80E, but I could only find the 2 door ones for the Ram and Ford.