Taos NM things to do and see

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We are planning a trip to Taos sometime in the spring. Has anyone been there and can you make recommendations on what to see and a good RV park?

We went in July of last year. We went to the Rio Grande Gorge and toured the earth ships while we were out there. Visited the Pueblos and they have a walking tour with a church that was built in the 1800’s but they don’t allow photographing inside the church. The Taos town Square was nice with lots of shops and historical markers in the center courtyard. They have what they call the Enchanted Circle which is a highway that makes a loop of about 80 miles with different towns along it including a ghost town and another with the Viet Nam Memorial in it. It also goes by the ski areas and you can ride the lifts up to the top and back down but we didn’t make that loop. Wish we had made the drive but we spent too much time in the Pueblos. They are still inhabited and have their own working government.
We stayed in Rancho de Taos which is just south of Taos but right next to it. The park was on the main highway that runs north and south through Taos but it was fairly quiet at night. I’ll have to check to see what the name of it was. I think there’s only one other campground in Taos but we didn’t see it during our travels.
I don’t know where you will be coming from but we went in on what they call the High Road that runs from Las Vegas, NM to Taos and it’s a very scenic route to take. Lots of 35-45 mph stretches of highway and that was good with us since we were looking around anyway.
It was a fun trip that we enjoyed but next time we want to go farther west to the Shiprock area or Farmington.

A few pics.

IMG_3184.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I been thru Taos, but I was on a motorcycle, so can't help you out.

I've stayed a few nights in Farmington NM while travelling by motorcycle
. dont remember it being anything worthwhile other than it seems like its close to 4 Corners.

any of you ever notice Arizona and New Mexico seem like duplicates of each other, with the exception that Arizona seems like it has 4 times the population and everybody in NM lives around Alburquerque.

I been thru Taos, but I was on a motorcycle, so can't help you out.

any of you ever notice Arizona and New Mexico seem like duplicates of each other, with the exception that Arizona seems like it has 4 times the population and everybody in NM lives around Alburquerque.
Yeah you are right about Albuquerque being heavily populated. We stayed a week one time in Tijeras just east of Albuquerque. Campground was down in a small canyon close to the interstate but couldn’t hear it at all. Spent a whole day in Ole Town and burned a half of a tank of fuel driving on the Singing Highway over and over. Haven’t spent a lot of time in Arizona though. Spent 3 days in Williams when we rode the train to the Grand Canyon. Enjoyed every minute of it.

if you ever get a chance to go to the North Rim of the GC, do it... 90% of the visitors go to the South Rim, coming up from Flagstaff or the SW... still remember the first time my wife went with me to the south rim, and I told her to be prepared to see 10,000 Japanese tourists with cameras... she wasn't disappointed.

if you ever get a chance to go to the North Rim of the GC, do it... 90% of the visitors go to the South Rim, coming up from Flagstaff or the SW... still remember the first time my wife went with me to the south rim, and I told her to be prepared to see 10,000 Japanese tourists with cameras... she wasn't disappointed.
Wife has been wanting to go to Monroe Utah and might go that way if we make it up there.

Kinda true. New Mexico is a poor state overall. We've camped at quite few places in NM and the overall impression is always it looks a bit run down and unkempt. The southwest has a casual attitude about keeping things neat and tidy anyway and NM takes it to another level in our observations. Lots of great stuff all over the state to go see.

I agree with the casual attitude. The run down I do not. Every state has some places that could seriously use some new management. We’ve stayed in several places in NM and only stayed in one place that was a dump. But we were only there for one night passing through and we survived. We really like the open space and friendly people in NM. I guess we can relate to them better than in some of the ritsy areas. As far as it being a poor state, it seems to be more sparsely populated and states can’t have large handout programs with small incoming revenues.

some years back my wife and I travelled by motorycle . I remember we took a road from Tucumcari to Las Vegas NM, it was about 80 miles of totally unpopulated hi desert. I loved it.. few days later we were staying in Los Alamos and she saw this brochure about New Mexico Scenic byways.. so we took one of them on our way via Cuba NM to Farmington... that scenic byway turned to dirt.. that red dirt like they make adobe out of... and then it rained.. and I ended up in a ditch in BFE New Mexico. No cell phone service, no people.. sometimes favors show up, two vans full of boy scouts hand hauled me out of the ditch. Might be one of my fondest memories of New Mexico.