Steel wool to clean your windshield?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I read on the internet (so it must be true) that 0000 size steel wool can be used to clean an automotive windshield. Anyone do this? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, as steel may or will scratch glass. Thoughts?

I've heard that too. I've also heard barkeepers friend. I'm with you that I'm not totally comfortable with it. I'd imagine that it would cause tiny scratches.

I prefer to use stuff specifically for it, usually Duragloss water spot remover. It is a polishing compound that will get just about anything off, granted it takes some work and it won't take out deeper scratches.

I'm sure there are other people that make stuff for glass, but we used to sell this at the shop I worked at....ugh, 26 years ago......

I just never bothered to look for anything else. It does the job I need it to do. Although if you do use it, put something back on the glass afterwards, be that rain-x or a coat of your favorite car wax.

--Edit--

I guess I should say that the above is only for waterspot or heavy contaminate removal. Day-to-day cleaning I use Invisible Glass (aerosol, not spray). Probably my favorite glass cleaner for windows.

I really struggle with the Ranger. I don't know if it is the type of glass Ford uses or what, but compared to my Acura, the Ranger windshield is usually a nightmare to keep clean. And I don't mean just keeping bugs off it. Once they are on there, they're a real pain to get off. The wipers smear them, the wiper fluid doesn't do a lot of good, etc. Its almost like the glass Ford uses is more 'sticky' than others. RainX doesn't seem to last as long either. It really boggles my mind. I also have a harder time keeping the inside of the windshield streak-free, but I put that down to the types of interior plastics and the off-gassing they do over time. The Acura sits inside and is 15 years old, so most of that is gone.

Last edited:
mostly I just use a squeegee.. and soap and water.. I swear a little bit of soap mixed with water works better than glass cleaner.

only thing I can think of is if steel wool is harder than glass it will scratch the glass
GM used to recommend Barkeepers Friend..

I use Bon Ami 1886 powder. There are 2 versions of Bon Ami, the 1886 won't scratch glass.

Just enough water to make a light paste that dries quickly. Rub it when wet with a blue towel. Let it dry, the wipe off with a couple of blue towels.

1702005246965.jpeg

1702005263821.jpeg

I use Bon Ami 1886 powder. There are 2 versions of Bon Ami, the 1886 won't scratch glass.

Just enough water to make a light paste that dries quickly. Rub it when wet with a blue towel. Let it dry, the wipe off with a couple of blue towels.
I had never heard of it before this.

Will give it a try.

I had never heard of it before this.

Will give it a try.

I just clicked the link. It looks like the 1886 version is now discontinued. I would be careful trying the other powder. Test on some glass first.

I know the 1886 is fine as i have used it for years, glass cook tops and car windows. But didn't know its discontinued.

Sorry for a discontinued recommendation. I would be very careful using the other version. I'll have to look for some sort of replacement, or see if i can buy some before all the 1886 is gone.

I don't think i would risk using the non 1886 version on a windshield.

I just clicked the link. It looks like the 1886 version is now discontinued.
This is what I ordered - good or no?

It says, "Our multi-purpose cleaner is nonabrasive & has been trusted since 1886 to clean without scratching."

This is what I ordered - good or no?

It says, "Our multi-purpose cleaner is nonabrasive & has been trusted since 1886 to clean without scratching."
I don't know. Maybe so. I'll look at the ingredients when I get home.
I'd try it on a low section of the back window first.