Pictures of our New Horizons Summit

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I posted a ton of build pictures here:

I'll post some pictures of the new rig over the next few days.

This picture is after pulling it the first time, to the scale, at New Horizons.

IMG-4183.JPG

BIG! How is it going down the road?
Turning room is very similar to turning with the 30' Airstream, but it pulls a lot harder because of the wind resistance. The entire rig is 10,000 pounds heavier than the Airstream rig, so descending grades is much different. With the Airstream rig, I could descend at about 50 MPH, with the exhaust brake and never touch the foot brake. Being that the New Horizons rig is 10,000 pounds heavier, I can only descend at about 35 MPH and not touch the foot brake. The slower speed is fine, because it's not a race, the speed limit for any vehicles with a GVW > 26,000 pounds is 35 MPH, and, I don't do hot brakes.

Ascending, the truck is a pulling beast with the 10 speed. It does a much better job at keeping the engine around 2,000 RPMs while pulling uphill. I pulled both grades up to the Eisenhauer tunnel at 2,100-2,300 RPMs at 50 MPH. However at 10,000' elevation, when you have to get out of the throttle because of a slower vehicle and get back into the throttle, it feels like engine gave up the ghost until the turbo spools. It takes about 2-3 seconds to build boost, but when it does it's impressive.

It looks very nice, and don't you just love having a truck that is a pulling beast. I feel so safe in our F350 pulling that it makes some of those roads with a drop off to one side, seem not so scary. Wait I lied they still terrify me!!!!!!

It looks very nice, and don't you just love having a truck that is a pulling beast.
Yes, choosing a truck for towing is similar to the saying, "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight". The Chevy pulls the trailer very well AND has massive brakes as does the trailer. Slowing down is effortless even on grade.

I feel so safe in our F350 pulling that it makes some of those roads with a drop off to one side, seem not so scary. Wait I lied they still terrify me!!!!!!
I have noticed the person not driving tends to be more terrified than the person driving. I wonder why that is? :)

Last edited: