Pictures of inside of water heater after 290 nights use

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This water heater has never been flushed. I'm surprised at how much debris is on the bottom of the tank. I believe the debris is from minerals flaking off the electric and propane heating elements. The amount of deposits still on the propane heating tube worries me. I wonder how much the build-up affects heat transfer?

Electric heating element

full

full

full

Temperature sensor?
full

Debris on bottom of tank

full

full

Looking straight up in tank, the top looks to be uncorroded.

full

This is the most troubling image - the build-up on the propane heat exchanger tube. I'm going to try to spray it off with a Camco flush wand.
full

Entire album

Wow, that is not what I expected at all.

Now I really want to have a close look at mine. We don't have near the days on ours, but I've already replaced the anode as the original was pretty much eaten through.

When I flush my daughter's residential electric water heater lots of flakes like you're seeing come out. When I flush our gas water heater no flakes come out. Now I'm wondering if the electric element in her tank gets very hot and makes the minerals fall off but the natural gas heat exchanger doesn't get hot enough to make the minerals detach and our exchanger looks like yours? :oops:

It seems anode rods are to protect the actual tank but I can't find anything that says they're supposed to protect the electric element or heat exchanger.

Could you rig a piece of tubing to a shop vac and go in the drain hole to get those flakes out maybe?

Guess I need an endoscope camera for my phone now. What kind are you using? A million on Amazon.

some of what you find in the water system depends on the water you are using.. Some campgrounds on non city water have some pretty rough well water. If the campground has minimal water treatment, water heater is going to have deposits.

anode serves the same purpose in a water heater that it serves in a marine vessel..
sacrifices itself to save other hard metals.
eventually the heating element will fail, no matter what because they always do.

Our Atwood has aluminum tank and I've never seen any buildup. That's one thing I'd change, never have to mess with anode rods.

This one still has plenty of metal on it to get sacrificed. I'll use it for another 100 days, then change it out.
I never looked on mine. Is the very center a different metal that won't finish getting eaten through? My main concern was it breaking off and falling in the tank and then having to go fishing for it.

I never looked on mine. Is the very center a different metal that won't finish getting eaten through? My main concern was it breaking off and falling in the tank and then having to go fishing for it.
Yes, I think the rod in the center is steel.

wow, that looks like a lot of build up. My anode rode has not looked that bad but we generally camp for 14 -28 nights per year... I have changed my anode twice for preventative measures. Might need some CLR Wayne.

Just my $0.02

I just read that aluminum anode rods are not as effective as magnesium anodes. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I just read that aluminum anode rods are not as effective as magnesium anodes. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
quote: Water hardness: Magnesium anode rods are more effective in soft water, while aluminum anode rods are more effective in hard water. This is because magnesium anode rods will corrode faster in hard water, which means that they will need to be replaced more frequently. https://www.drftps.com/faqs/what-is-the-difference-between-magnesium-and-aluminum-anode-rods

Our Atwood has aluminum tank and I've never seen any buildup. That's one thing I'd change, never have to mess with anode rods.
Here is a good explanation of why some aluminum tanks doesn't need an extra anode rod.