Petrified Forest National Park - October 2021

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We stopped at Petrified Forest on the way home from Zion and Grand Canyon. Stopping here was kind of an afterthought, but we are glad we did. The park is just east of Holbrook, AZ and straddles I-40. The main visitor center is north of the interstate at exit 311, while there is another visitor center on the far south end of the park near the south entrance. Both are excellent visitor centers.

The area of the national park isn't particularly pretty, except for the Painted Desert on the north side of the interstate, but is sure it interesting seeing trees that are made of stone and 200 million years old and located near the equator.

Last edited:
Did you drive all the way to the south end? We were there 5-6 years ago and I can't remember if it was big RV friendly all the way through. Our Pa friends were there 15 years ago and had stopped along the road between the south entrance and Holbrook looking for wood pieces in the ditch and the rancher came along and stopped and told him to go up in the field and get some. I could revisit every park every couple of years but my activities director won't approve it.

Did you drive all the way to the south end? We were there 5-6 years ago and I can't remember if it was big RV friendly all the way through.
Yes, we drove in the north and and out the south end. No problem with large RVs at most stops along the way.

Our Pa friends were there 15 years ago and had stopped along the road between the south entrance and Holbrook looking for wood pieces in the ditch and the rancher came along and stopped and told him to go up in the field and get some.
Given the opportunity to pick some up on private land, I would have.

Have you seen the inventory of petrified wood at Jim Gray's Petrified Wood in Holbrook? I can't imagine what they will do with all of it.

You drive past as you come back into Holbrook right? His heirs and their heirs will still be selling it. Won't go bad.;)