Pest control

spasm3

Its time to talk about pests. I spray the ground under where my camper is stored for spiders , that works.

But mice can be a problem especially now with it starting to get colder.

I just had mice get in ours, fortunately no damage, just had to to an intensive terminal cleaning. My outdoor cat is getting old, and is not up to the task anymore.

I hate to use bait as i am in a wooded area and i have tons of wildlife, but i have little choice.

We always clean and remove food after every trip, so nothing is in there as an attractant.

I will never use glue traps again as i don't consider them humane.

I worry about secondary poisoning when using bait stations. But i had phone conversations with a pest control supply company and went with their recommendation.

I used a fast killing bait, so hopefully they consume less, and should be less of an issue if the mouse is consumed by a larger animal.

I also put my bait stations on a 2 x 6 board as i have lots of raccoons, and they tend to carry things away forever. Hummingbird feeders , birdfeeders disappear. I did not want them to also tumble the stations around and the bait fall out and kill them or any other animal that finds it ( like dogs etc).

I placed the stations at each wheel, and one larger one that rats can enter, along the wall of my shed. I'm wondering, should add one near where the tongue jack meets the ground?

I'd like to hear what others do for pest prevention.

Pics below of what i used and where i placed them.
IMG_20221106_104337334.jpg
IMG_20221106_102050544.jpg
IMG_20221106_102555961_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_102623465.jpg
IMG_20221106_102732512.jpg
IMG_20221106_102648055_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_102651819_HDR.jpg

Btw, i'm so glad i screwed the stations down, as i have raccoon prints all over one, only after 2 days!!

Last edited:
Btw, i'm so glad i screwed the stations down, as i have raccoon prints all over one, only after 2 days!!
That's pretty funny and yes, this type of feeder should always be screwed down.

The owner of the shed where we store our trailer has very similar feeders. I would guess 10 of them around the perimeter of a 60'x100' Morton building. He puts old steel milk crates upside-down over them and puts a cement block on top of the milk crate. It keeps all animals out that shouldn't be eating the stuff, including his outdoor cats.

At the end of the camping season, we always remove all food and super-clean the trailer. We have never seen any evidence of mice in our trailer.

Last edited:
We put cotton balls dripped with peppermint oil in 4 or 5 places in the trailer including in cabinets and the storage bay and it seems to be repelling them. The trailer is in a storage yard on pavement so maybe it's a case of making our trailer less desirable than others nearby. Nothing aromatic left inside when in storage.