"Pathetic quality”: RV dealers are fed up with what manufacturers are producing

It seems everything made today is low quality compared to beforehand. :(. This is why I always say buy old or used :).

So many do not do any research before buying so they get all excited about the 'bling' and don't even look at how the unit is made and the parts you can't see. I am so glad we are not looking for anything 'new' now. There are even those full timers who run workshops on how to buy an old unit, gut it and make it the way you want. Some of the old units are built like tanks.

Today I got a glimpse of an old Airstream class A motorhome sitting at a business as I was travelling around town. It was highly polished so am assuming it has been or is being restored. Might have to go back for a closer look. Bet it's amazing.

We parked beside a late model Airstream motorhome in Michigan a couple years ago and was interested in learning more about them. I found this article, which explains when the made them and a bit about what they were.

I just read the article you linked. I haven't been overly impressed with the build quality of our 2017 Grand Design, I've fixed quite a few things that just weren't built right. If they're a lot worse now it's a wonder they get them to the dealers in one piece. My sister in Pa took delivery of a new Jayco 32' fifth wheel in January and reports not one problem so far. Must be a fluke.

No. We bought it 12/23/20 from the original owner in Phoenix. There's a GD dealer here in town but I don't have much faith in them. Just a bunch of little things wrong that are avoidable if someone gave a crap.

If you want to see something scary watch this video. Someone should be fired over doing brakes like this. This Youtube channel Big Truck Big RV has a new video almost everyday.

""

If you want to see something scary watch this video. Someone should be fired over doing brakes like this.
I have never seen such poor workmanship on such an important safety device. Yes, someone should be fired over this and just might be.

They sent this garbage to the wrong guy - 425,000 subscribers and how many millions of views? I'll bet this is the worst PR nightmare Coachmen has ever had.

This trailer is a one-off that he collaborated with Coachman to build. You'd think someone there would have been keeping a close eye on it. He took some panels out in the storage bays and the wiring and plumbing routing was a total cluster. There was a molding sprue that broke off inside one of the gray tanks and jammed the gate valve open, they had to drop the belly cover and take it apart to find it. He's only had the trailer a few months and you can tell he's getting disgusted with it.

The guy gets to try out all of the accessories we wonder about so it's interesting. Etrailer.com is a sponsor, I find them high priced on everything.

This trailer is a one-off that he collaborated with Coachman to build. You'd think someone there would have been keeping a close eye on it.
This was a complete and total fail by Coachmen. Someone in the marketing department had to have known this 5th wheel was likely to be featured on his channel in multiple videos. They should have had someone senior on the line babysit this trailer to make darn sure it was picture perfect.

He took some panels out in the storage bays and the wiring and plumbing routing was a total cluster.
The workmanship was just sloppy. There are several places where the wire is resting on the PEX or a run of PEX isn't tied up, which places stress on the tees and 90° fittings. Bounce down the road for long enough and a fitting will break.

I spoke to a tech in 2015 when I purchased our Thor Super C. He was fixing some stuff and told me manufacturers are producing as many units as possible (not focusing on QC) and relying on the dealers more to fix things.

He was fixing some stuff and told me manufacturers are producing as many units as possible (not focusing on QC) and relying on the dealers more to fix things.
And it sure sound like the dealers are fed up with this approach. The whole industry seems to be on its head in the last year. I wonder if demand will fall soon?

Dave, the sales manager, looked like he didn't want to be on camera and I can't blame him under these circumstances. Kudos to Coachmen for flying their rep and someone from Dexter down there to take care of the problem. The problem never should have happened and someone without a large Youtube channel may not have gotten as much attention, but I'll bet Coachmen would have had a dealer fix the issue.

Dave, the sales manager, looked like he didn't want to be on camera and I can't blame him under these circumstances. Kudos to Coachmen for flying their rep and someone from Dexter down there to take care of the problem. The problem never should have happened and someone without a large Youtube channel may not have gotten as much attention, but I'll bet Coachmen would have had a dealer fix the issue.

I fast forwarded through all of the BTBRV guy's jabber to hear what the rep had to say. Yeah okay it was built off line during Covid etc but someone should have signed off on the systems particularly when they aren't using those brakes.

Bottom line IMO is they're all slamming them out the door as fast as they can as they plug people into empty spots on the line.