Our Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DJSE

ctechbob

The day I dragged it home:

IMG_20220617_170309998_HDR.jpg

Coming home from Charleston, SC.

IMG_20230308_141111540_HDR.jpg

Inside ready to go camping (This was before I started adding things to the interior):

IMG_20220711_181450589_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220711_181509946_HDR.jpg

Nope, no slide model. I didn't want to step in those waters for the first camper. Maybe next time.
Yeah, they are blessing and can be a curse.

One time we stopped at a truck stop in Percival, MO for some lunch. We found an unoccupied area and put our kitchen and dinning room slides out. The dinning run slide made it about 6" back in before a shear pin broke. I spent the next the next 30 minutes with a small crescent wrench (too small) turning the square drive shaft bit by bit as my wife brought the other end in with the button. Of course, I was sitting on the ground under the trailer in good clothes. The funny thing is, we were headed to New Horizons to get something else done anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, they are blessing and can be a curse.

One time we stopped at a truck stop in Percival, MO for some lunch. We found an unoccupied area and put our kitchen and dinning room slides out. The dinning run slide made it about 6" back in before a shear pin broke. I spent the next the next 30 minutes with a small crescent wrench (too small) turning the square drive shaft bit by bit as my wife brought the other end in with the button. The funny thing is, we were headed to New Horizons to get something else done anyway.

I think potential leaks scare me more than the mechanical aspect of them. I'm pretty confident I could handle any issues that arise at a moment's notice. I just don't want to unpack the thing one spring and find that the whole side of the camper is rotting off from a leak.

Already had to have the solar wire passthrough on the roof of ours repaired which included ceiling panels and insulation. Was broken from the factory and didn't show up until just a few months back, just before the warranty was up. The dealership took care of me on it.

Already had to have the solar wire passthrough on the roof of ours repaired which included ceiling panels and insulation. Was broken from the factory and didn't show up until just a few months back, just before the warranty was up. The dealership took care of me on it.
Great that the dealer fix it, how long was the wait to get in? I've heard horror stories about super long wait times for warranty work.

Great that the dealer fix it, how long was the wait to get in? I've heard horror stories about super long wait times for warranty work.
Umm, 2 weeks I think? I remember that it worked out well for me since I only have every other weekend and a scattered day during the week off so it wasn't that big of a deal. Made the appointment, dropped it off, and they had it done in a week.

They're a good dealer. I'll have to do a review on them. Mark Tuggle RV up in Cumming.

Working nights, the days all run together. I'll have to go back and look at my calendar.

Avoid slides with the Schwintek drive system if possible. OK for small lightweight slides but the makers tend to use them at their limit. Every time I run the slide out/in it sounds like it's on it's last go.

You don't lube anything on the Schwintek system except the upper bearing block and gibs where the motors join the drive axles. This is the track that attaches to the top and bottom of the slide that the gears drive. No lube, keep clean.
slide tracks.jpg

This is the system that drives all Schwintek slides. That small high torque motor is inside the wall between the inner and outer seals and drives the top and bottom tracks with a long torque shaft. That little motor is about 1.5 inches in diameter. It's run by a controller that senses amps(?) I guess. You run it all the way out or in and keep the button pressed for several seconds after it stops for the controller to know where it is.
Components.JPG

I keep everything super clean, wax the slide sides, use silicone spray on the top that has the roofing and the bottom that slides on some sort of blocks that are mounted on the floor just inside the bottom seal. It's just not a robust system and lots of people who don't pay attention to it have problems. Our slide is 8-10 feet wide and has the fridge and a couch/fold out bed on it and I think it's at it's limit. There's a company in Tucson that will replace it with a better system for like $3k.

Yes, the weight rides the v-rollers. Maybe lubing the Gib then lubes the axle the v-roller rides?

1693797119261.jpg