North Rim of the Grand Canyon?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This fall we are visiting Zion, then driving US-89 toward Cameron, AZ, then to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Since we will be driving past the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and we have never been there, we are wondering of the North Rim is worth the time to visit?

One of my favorite places. Will post some pictures. Kids loved the Bison just outside the park. Beautiful place and not very many people around. They have a lodge/hotel at the top. Very cool place IMHO.

I found this Photo Globe of the North Rim Campground. We had no idea it was there and it looks way cool. Love the big trees and it's so close to lots of hiking.

Here is from the lobby of lodge at the top. Big glass windows overlooking the canyon...really cool.

DSC_4826.JPG

Little seating area overlooking canyon.

DSC_4815.JPG

P6080422.JPG

DSC_4933.JPG

DSC_4915.JPG

DSC_4839.JPG

DSC_4856.JPG

Bison on the way to the park.
DSC_4969.JPG

DSC_4947.JPG

Beautiful place.

It looks really fantastic and will less crowds, it's right up our alley. We definitely need to go there! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Allstays shows a couple more campgrounds that look pretty decent near the junction of US-89A AZ-67 as you turn south toward the north rim. Several options for campgrounds is a good thing!

Wayne, if you can swing it the North Rim is worth the trip. I imagine it's what the South Rim was like 100 years ago. The parking lot at the North Rim is smaller than most Wallyworld lots. It's all very rustic and un-commercialized. We stayed at Jacob Lake CG you mention above a few years ago. I remember it being tight, we had a tiny 5th wheel at the time so no problem but you might want to check. We much prefer the NR and hope to go this summer sometime. The last time we were at the SR the road leading to the west along the rim from the lodge to Hermit's Rest was closed to public travel, only tour busses were allowed. We had our bikes and had a great ride with the road mostly to ourselves.

The parking lot at the North Rim is smaller than most Wallyworld lots.
I looked at the parking via Streetview and there are places to park long RVs. I think what we'll do is stop at the north rim on our travel day between Zion and the south rim. Driving AZ-67 adds 88 miles round trip, so that's about 2 hours pulling a trailer in that terrain. Two hours of additional drive time to see the north rim is a good payback! We could be there 10AM and hopefully in Oct it won't be too crowded to find a parking spot.

The last time we were at the SR the road leading to the west along the rim from the lodge to Hermit's Rest was closed to public travel, only tour busses were allowed.

I sure hope it's not closed, because if that's the case we would have to go all the way to Flagstaff, then back to the south rim.

SR = South Rim, sorry. When you go to the South Rim you park and Mather Point is dead ahead north and you can walk east or west. Or drive east. Or take a bus, at least that's how it was when we were there last. The park road to the west to Hermit's Rest was closed to car traffic but it was great riding a bicycle. Poor transition from North Rim to South Rim thoughts on my part. You can see what I'm talking about on a map. We very much prefer the North Rim. Have you been to the Grand Canyon before?

You can see what I'm talking about on a map.
Yeah, I understood, as I had just been looking at a map of the south rim area. We are already booked in the Trailer Village RV park near the south rim visitor center. Which I think we'll keep the reservations and make a stop at the north rim.

Have you been to the Grand Canyon before?
Yes, we have both been to the south rim, but it's been a long time ago. Very much looking forward to going in the fall!

Wayne I just remembered the Zion Mount Carmel Tunnel with windows coming out of Zion to the east. Might want to check max height on that.

Oversized vehicles exit the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel

"If your vehicle is 11'4" (3.4m) tall or taller or 7’10” (2.4 m) wide or wider, including mirrors, awnings, and jacks, you will need a tunnel permit."

Wayne I just remembered the Zion Mount Carmel Tunnel with windows coming out of Zion to the east. Might want to check max height on that.
From the NPS website:

Q. What are the tunnel size limits for an oversized vehicle?
A. Any vehicle that is 11 feet 4 inches high or higher and 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider needs the one-way traffic control service. Any vehicle 13 feet 1 inch high or higher cannot pass through the tunnel.
Length restrictions are 40 feet for a single vehicle and 50 feet for any vehicle combination.

We will be 12'6" tall so it would be close, but we will be over 50' long, so we're not planning on pulling the trailer through the tunnel.

You should drive through and back just to do it while you're there. This tunnel has windows.

You should drive through and back just to do it while you're there. This tunnel has windows.
Yes, we definitely will drive through the tunnel just to do it, however not with the trailer in tow!

Like windows with screens and cranks? ;)

The tunnel is so close to the edge of the cliffs that they cut windows into the north wall every so often and sunlight comes in. We didn't know this when we went through and didn't understand what we were seeing passing by the first one or two. Kinda like screen doors on a submarine...

The tunnel is so close to the edge of the cliffs that they cut windows into the north wall every so often and sunlight comes in. We didn't know this when we went through and didn't understand what we were seeing passing by the first one or two. Kinda like screen doors on a submarine...
I can't say I've ever seen outside windows cut into a tunnel. I'm sure it will be an experience, since it's over a mile long! Didn't realize it's that long.

I noticed the windows as well. Beautiful drive for sure. Saw this little guy last time.

attachments.jpg