No external pump switch ... something I found out the hard way

MSCH

just starting to think about doing something about it.

my RV doesn't have an external switch to run the electric water pump.
Every other RV I have owned had a switch to turn on the pump..
that means I can't suction water into the clean water tank from a container
if I don't have a pressurized water source.

it isn't a big problem until you go somewhere with no water supply other than a spigot or a hand pump
which was the case in many parts of Canada and Alaska.

so that is my today task.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might be inclined to solve that problem with an external pump and a bucket.
honestly, the pumps on these trailers are all designed to suction water in thru the hose connection. You just place the 4 way valve in the proper orientation and turn the pump on and suck water in from a bucket.
it is a nice feature that my hi end trailer didn't seem to think I needed.

both of my previous trailers had the switch... and the same pump... flojet...
I just never realized this one doesn't have the switch provision until I needed to add water from a container and I could not.
on the label in the connections compartment on my trailer it shows the pump switch and says it is optional..

honestly, the pumps on these trailers are all designed to suction water in thru the hose connection. You just place the 4 way valve in the proper orientation and turn the pump on and suck water in from a bucket.
I sure wish mine would, winterizing would be much easier. I've tried everything and the moment a bit of air hits the pump, it's done. However, it has no problem priming when it's drawing out of the potable water tank. I don't understand why.

after all my commentary, and doing a wiring job... I found out this RV still wont suctionin water from a can using the winterize feature, no matter what. Never had an issue on the other trailers... so I guess when I travel I will juist make sure I keep the water tank full if I am in dry country.

still playing with this thing and came to the realization ( after hooking the pump directly to a pail of water that while I can prime and run the pump, however they plumbed the system nothing being pushed by the pump can be sent to the fresh water tank.
First of three RV's I have owned where I couldn't suction water into the system.

it has to be how they plumbed the 4 way valve. or didn't plumb it.

If you figure your out, let me know because mine had the same problem.