New truck is finally here - 2021 Chevy 3500 DRW

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
When we decided to sell our Airstream and buy a 5th wheel, we also had to sell our Chevy 3500 SRW (Single Rear Wheel) because it didn't have nearly enough payload for the 5th wheel trailer. We ordered the new new truck in late February and were told that with the pandemic and global chip shortages the delivery date could range from May to July. Our VIN was issued earlier than the dealer expected and the delivery date could be earlier than expected. The truck was delivered to the dealer May 5th, so I went up there to take a look to see that it was built per the order, it was!!

Some pictures while sitting on the dealer lot, pre PDI.

[rant on] The DEF fill is finally next to the fuel filler, instead of under the hood on the passenger side. When Chevy put the DEF fill under the hood on our 2018, it was possibly my least favorite thing about that truck. When you need to fill DEF, there was no way to fill both DEF and fuel at the same time. You always either had to move the truck to get the left side DEF hose to reach or worse you had to use a DEF hose from a neighboring fuel island, which could really irritate the truck drivers waiting on the bozo in the play truck on vacation while they are trying to make a living. [/rant off]

The corner step will be very useful!

Yes, I've been lifting lots of iron lately!

Dual cameras on the back of the cab. One for the bed and one for backing.

Looking straight down the 5th wheel puck to the ground.

Last edited:
No negativity towards the trucks but the white just doesn’t look as good as yours and the black one the more I look at it. 🙂.

Definitely me too. Both my trucks are red. I feel different styles look better in certain colors. The only color I’d take over red or black is blue.

Hey, who let the door unlocked and let the kid in?? 🤪 Howdy AM.

That red is sweet and the color matched bumper helps it's looks.

That red is sweet and the color matched bumper helps it's looks.
This year GM has one color of Red, called Cherry Red Tintcoat. It's much darker and more subdued than the fire engine red they have had in the past. The new 5th wheel will have Cherry Red Tintcoat in the paintjob.

Nice! Is it 4wd?

I like the red too. I usually do not care for painted bumper corners, as i use my truck in fields etc. But a dually may not see any off road use, you for you its probably not an issue. I still wonder why the manufacturers would use painted bumper corners on a truck?

The DEF fill makes sense next to the fuel. I bet you cant wait to drive it! 120v in the bed is a nice touch!

Nice! Is it 4wd?
Yes, it feels like a waste to get 4wd, but in the rare occasion you need it, then it's very handy!

I usually do not care for painted bumper corners, as i use my truck in fields etc. But a dually may not see any off road use, you for you its probably not an issue. I still wonder why the manufacturers would use painted bumper corners on a truck?
I think the only painted bumpers are on the High Country and no we won't be doing any off-roading! I don't particularly like the painted bumpers, because there is a very high probability of the bumper getting rock chips. We got the 3M paint protection film on our last truck, which also had a painted bumper. That film had several places where a rock had stuck the film and put a stretch mark in the film, but the paint didn't get chipped. I think we'll put the film on the new truck as well.

The DEF fill makes sense next to the fuel.
FINALLY! It's about time.

I bet you cant wait to drive it!
Probably won't drive that much different than our last truck, just a bit wider in the rear and harder to find parking.

120v in the bed is a nice touch!
Yeah, I didn't realize it came with that option, somehow I didn't see that in whatever package it comes with. It is a nice touch, now I just have to figure out how much current it can handle, my guess is not much.

I usually do not care for painted bumper corners, as i use my truck in fields etc. I still wonder why the manufacturers would use painted bumper corners on a truck?

Color matched bumpers are for aesthetics only. I like the look but chips are a problem. To my eye there's such a thing as too much chrome.

I love it. I can't wait to hear how it tows. A lot of people complain about how they look. Those people people don't understand the big grills.
Cooling, plain and simple. Huge radiators, oil coolers, aux transmission cooler. They need the air flow. It is functional.

Is the white one a W/T truck. Those are the ones I have seen with that grill.

Last edited:
A lot of people complain about how they look. Those people people don't understand the big grills.
Cooling, pain and simple. Huge radiators, oil coolers, aux transmission cooler. They need they need the air flow. It functional.
I don't particularly care for the large grill either, but if you want to keep the 910 pound feet of torque cool and you tow big and fast, then you gotta have airflow. I tow slow and steady so the big radiator isn't needed until I get to Denver going west, then it's an absolute necessity.

Is the white one a W/T truck. Those are the ones I have seen with that grill.
Believe it or not, but I was so enamored with the red truck that I don't even know what trim level the other two trucks were :cool:

Believe it or not, but I was so enamored with the red truck that I don't even know what trim level the other two trucks were :cool:
Has W/T rims too. I like the W/T stuff. My current truck is the first one I have had that was above that.

Looking closer at them, I have to say the Bow Tie looks much better than CHEVROLET across the hood.

Looking closer at them, I have to say the Bow Tie looks much better than CHEVROLET across the hood.
I do like the bowtie, but wouldn't pay $300 more for the black bowtie. If I want one that bad, I'll get to work with a black magic marker and save myself $298.

You got wild and crazy with the color didn't you? I never pictured you as the red truck sort of guy, glad Karen is a good influence! Bah ha ha ha.
Looks good.

You got wild and crazy with the color didn't you?

I was hoping for this truck, but Karen made me settle for the red one.

crazy.jpg

I do like the bowtie, but wouldn't pay $300 more for the black bowtie. If I want one that bad, I'll get to work with a black magic marker and save myself $298.
Vinyl wrap. I did the front and rear on my truck. It was easy! Cost like 30 bucks for the material.

20201121_130641.jpg

Get a spray can of black Plastidip. easy peasy. I did the too large chrome Nissan emblems on the grill and tailgate when we got the truck 2 years ago and they're still perfect. Youtube videos show you how.