New tow vehicle

spasm3

Well I finally made the decision, traded out beloved 2003 avalanche for a 2021 Ram 2500.
We loved the avalanche as it as an uncommon yellow color , that we called "Big Bird".

I was planning on a Chevrolet , till I drove both.
Nothing wrong with the Chevy. Just things I did and did not want.

The Ram has a 4:10 gear, you can no longer get anything with a higher ratio( lower gear) than 3.73:1 in a Chevrolet. The ram also has a manual shift lever for 4wd. I had electronic issues a few times in the av. So I like the manual lever.

The Chevy has 20 inch wheels which most people would want. I prefer a smaller wheel with a taller sidewall. Rides better in my opinion. The ram has 18 inch wheels with more sidewall height.

Anyway here's the pics of the old truck and the new.

IMG_20210805_141421870_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210805_141411365_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210808_201542865.jpg
IMG_20210808_201618846.jpg
IMG_20210808_201731835.jpg
IMG_20210805_183619237.jpg

That's a great color! (y) And it's a gasser Tradesman? If carpet delete was an option I would have checked it, nothing better than a rubber floor in a truck that gets used and dirty. And you don't have a tablet in the dash.(y) I'm not too up on Ram info, does the 6.4 Hemi have cylinder deactivation? Our trailers have similar weights, yours is a bit longer. That truck will tow it like a dream.

Yes gasser tradesman. 6.4 8spd

No cylinder deactivation that i'm aware of. I like no carpet! I also like knobs for the air and radio. you can turn down the volume with out taking your eyes off the road with decent sized knobs.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 6.4 had MDS when it came out, don't know if it still does. This engine has been around long enough to have the bugs worked out.

When we started looking at trucks last December there were no Rams or F250s to even look at or drive. Chevy had a standard cab WT on the lot that we drove. I was looking at the Custom but didn't like the 20s either otherwise it was fine. I like base trucks. The deal killer was the Silverado has a higher hood than the GMC and my wife drives. With no seat height adjustment a Custom was out and we didn't like the different packages you had to get to get a 10 way seat. This Sierra is pretty simple, knobs for radio and HVAC, non of the nanny driving stuff. It came with bedliner and full coverage floor mats so almost as good as a rubber floor. I started in with an open mind but it's hard when you can't even look at 2 of the 3 trucks. You'll be happy with the Ram. Is there much new inventory in your area? Still nothing new on the lots here, just overpriced used.

Ours had the cab lights too, drives the wife nuts. (y)

You will be very happy with the Dodge, my cousin and brother both own several of them and two that are 2021s. They really like them and keep coming back to Dodge again and again. I think your new Dodge will blow the doors off your Avalanche in terms of performance. Can't wait until you report how it tows compared to the Avalanche.

The ZF-8 in your truck is a beefed up version of the ZF-8 in my Charger and Durango. As you've read on BITOG, I can't say enough good about the ZF-8, it's a legendary transmission in my opinion.

It’s a nice truck for sure. I know one thing I like the color way more on it than the Avalanche LOL. My friend purchased a 2014 Ram yesterday that’s dark blue so far he is happy with it but I’m sure this one is probably a lot more updated than his is. The two things that would bother me is the shift knob instead of the traditional shifter and the push button start. Those shift knob cars come into work and I get in there feeling for a shifter only to find a knob LOL. I’m still a diehard Ford guy at heart though but Ram isn’t bad just wish they would put the oil filter in a better spot.

You will be very happy with the Dodge, my cousin and brother both own several of them and two that are 2021s. They really like them and keep coming back to Dodge again and again. I think your new Dodge will blow the doors off your Avalanche in terms of performance. Can't wait until you report how it tows compared to the Avalanche.

The ZF-8 in your truck is a beefed up version of the ZF-8 in my Charger and Durango. As you've read on BITOG, I can't say enough good about the ZF-8, it's a legendary transmission in my opinion.
Thanks for the thumbs up on the trans.
It was tough because in my mind I really wanted a Chevrolet, always liked them, but after driving, it was no comparison.

The dealer will install a trans cooler if I buy it but they swear I don't need it.

I will watch temps tomorrow when I tow and see where they are.

My ZF-8 stays at 200F all the time. I've read the cooling/heating system in the trans is very good and there is no need for an external cooler. I towed a tandem axle U-Haul to Austin, TX and back and the trans stayed at 200F the whole time.

My ZF-8 stays at 200F all the time. I've read the cooling/heating system in the trans is very good and there is no need for an external cooler. I towed a tandem axle U-Haul to Austin, TX and back and the trans stayed at 200F the whole time.
You have more than 1 truck?
I'd rather have I cooler than 200. With the tru cool 40k unit , the avalanche never ran over 170 towing. 140 in town.

If mine runs 200 I will probably install.

My Durango has the dial shifter. At first I didn't care for it, but after 132,000 miles, I don't even think about it and frankly prefer it.
So how do you rest your hand on the shifter? LOL. I do that in my sticks and automatics. Except my van which has a column shift.

You have more than 1 truck?
No, a Durango as my get around town vehicle and a Chevy 3500 to pull the 5th wheel.

I'd rather have I cooler than 200.
I don't think you can, because if the ZF-8 in your truck is similar to the ZF-8 setup in my Durango, then your trans is heated by engine coolant. The heater/cooler system keeps the trans temp at 200F no matter what you're using the vehicle for.

Look on the side of the trans for engine coolant pipes. I'll take a picture of mine and post it later.

No, a Durango as my get around town vehicle and a Chevy 3500 to pull the 5th wheel.

I don't think you can, because if the ZF-8 in your truck is similar to the ZF-8 setup in my Durango, then your trans is heated by engine coolant. The heater/cooler system keeps the trans temp at 200F no matter what you're using the vehicle for.

Look on the side of the trans for engine coolant pipes. I'll take a picture of mine and post it later.
I see, i did not know that. I will check that out! Thanks for the info!

Pretty sure the 6.4 had MDS when it came out, don't know if it still does.

Is there much new inventory in your area? Still nothing new on the lots here, just overpriced used.

Ours had the cab lights too, drives the wife nuts. (y)
Actually I looks like mine has mds. Seems ok i can feel a shudder when It goes back to 8 cyl after a down hill run.

Not much inventory at all. A few Chevys, zero GMC's I think the rams I looked at had not been off the truck long.

Towed first time, to a nearby campground about 45 miles away.
All I can say is Oh My Goodness!!
The difference is amazing!

I intentionally left the fresh water tank full, the grey was 2/3 fill and 1/2 tank black.

I wanted to see how it towed loaded up.
With the we 8spd and the 4:10, take off was effortless, amazing over the 03 AV.

Truck rode smooth , tires are a bit high at 80 psi, I'm going to go with 70 on the way back.

Door placard says 60 front 65 rear.

Looks like I won't need the trans cooler 95f ambient. Trans temp was 167-170 all the way.

Since I don't have 500 miles on it yet. I stopped 1/2 to let the rear end cool as it's still breaking in.
They say not to tow for 500 miles, but I had the weekend planned before I decided to trade trucks at the last minute.

Below temps were at idle, after the truck sat 5 minutes off the highway after checking in at the campground office.
IMG_20210811_165302985.jpg

This truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver hitch. I didn't anticipate that. Fortunately the truck came with a 2 inch adapter.

I ordered a new equalizer hitch shank, one that's 2 1/2 and has more drop. Should be here Friday.

On the lowest setting the trailer tongue sits too high.
IMG_20210811_160727413.jpg

Interesting about the shank. With mine at the lowest the trailer is level. Wonder if your truck is higher or my trailer is higher.

Also interesting your door placard says rears 65, mine says 80, been running 65 empty and it definitely takes the sharp edge off.

Looks good.