New GM trucks don't seem to be greased at the factory or dealer!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I just greased our new 2021 Chevy 3500 for the first time at about 2,000 miles on the clock. I assumed that the 9 front end grease zerks would have been greased either at the factory or dealer during the PDI, my assumption was wrong. All nine fittings were perfectly free of any sign of grease and all took between 5-7 pumps to slightly push the rubber boots out. My 2018 took only 1-2 pumps for the grease to pop and slightly push the boots out. The greased steering components are absolutely identical between the 2018 and 2021. Ungreased new HD trucks seems to be a very common complaint on other internet forums.

If you have a new GM HD truck.... you ought to get it greased!

edit: I added a thread with pictures of each zerk and some commentary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. The zerks look untouched and the rubber boots are limp on ours as well. This isn't going to be a quick & easy little job. Neither of my grease gun couplers want to work on the fittings, the wheels have to come off to get to the bottom ball joint fittings, the fittings on the pitman arm aren't easy to get to and the soft black waxy stuff on the frame gets on everything. Other than that piece of cake!

Wayne how did you get to the fittings on top of the tie rod parts?

This isn't going to be a quick & easy little job.
Nor is it possible to do without cussing.

Neither of my grease gun couplers want to work on the fittings
At first it appear my coupler was too small, but if you push real hard, my standard 30 year old coupler goes right on.

wheels have to come off to get to the bottom ball joint fittings
No, the bottom ball joint zerks are pointing up about 45° and on both of my trucks, faced rearward.

the fittings on the pitman arm aren't easy to get to
Let me correct you. "The fittings on the pitman arm are nearly impossible to get to."

Wayne how did you get to the fittings on top of the tie rod parts?

You'll swear at whatever person at GM decided it was $0.01 cheaper to put straight zerks in where they should have put 90° zerks. You'll have to position the steering wheel where you can get to the zerk on the top of the pitman arm. The easiest way is to raise the front of the truck, on blocks of course, but it can be done by starting it up, turning the wheel until it's in the correct position, then shutting it off, repeat until done.

Wait until you get to the upper idler arm pivot. At this point if you weren't muttering terrible things about the straight vs. 90° choice, you will be now.

I grease all nine, yes 9, zerks every time I change the oil.

the soft black waxy stuff on the frame gets on everything.
Yes, the black undercoating that the entire frame is dipped into at the factory is actually somehow alive. It crawls onto your arms and clothes and you don't even need to touch it. :)

Before you grease your truck, put a roll of paper towels and a can of WD-40 on the ground next to the truck. When you are done spray a bit of WD-40 where you've gotten the undercoating on your hands and arms and rub it a bit. The WD-40 will almost instantly dissolve the black stuff. Soap in your house won't even begin to touch it. Wipe your arms and hands off with the paper towel. Dish soap will then clean you right up. I learned all of this the hard way. You are welcome :cool:

Last edited: