My Grandparents and Their Rig(s)

ctechbob

A while back I took on the task of scanning a boatload of my grandparent's photos and ran across some pictures of their numerous trips 'Out West' as grandad liked to say. Lots of Grand Canyon photos and some places that I can't identify.

Some things I recall about the truck were that it had a massive aux fuel tank in the bed. Probably 50 gallons at least. I remember playing with the trailer brake controller as a kid with its big sliding lever. I believe it was 318 powered. It certainly wasn't a diesel or anything like that. I won't ever forget that unique Mopar starter noise.

135hp and 232lb/ft out of that small block monster, if it was the 318. I remember that truck being geared super low. 1st at idle was about walking speed.

I also know that 5 adults were staying in the camper for this trip, as my aunt was one of them and I've talked to her about it. She just doesn't remember the locations offhand.

Somewhere in AZ perhaps. Haven't worked on finding the location.

1781.jpg

1853.jpg

Grandparents standing facing the direction of the previous photo. This is some land they bought in AZ (As memory serves), no one in the family remembers where and of course we can't find any of the documents and consider it just a lost purchase. We have no idea what he did with anything relating to the property.

1855.jpg

Unidentified town, just thought this was a cool picture.

Jerome AZ. Never noticed the big "J" on the hill. Took all of 20 seconds to figure out where it was once I saw it.

1865.jpg

Their first camper. I think the tow vehicle for this was an International Travelall, but any trace of it was long gone before I came around.

Our Trailer March 1966.jpg

Something I did just notice, grandad was using weight distribution. I never remember seeing any of the hardware kicking around at his house, but then again, I wouldn't have known what it was if I tripped over it back then.

1705731422962.png

Last edited:
I always liked this picture of grandad's rig and of ours. I forget the year of the Dodge, but I want to say it was late 70's? Either way almost 50 years between the two rigs.

I never really got to travel with them, but I spent many a summer afternoon sitting in that green trailer reloading ammo with grandad or just sitting there talking. Those simple times are some of my all-time best memories I got to have with him. By that time, the trailer wasn't road-worthy, but it was his 'man cave' before that term even came into use. He'd sit down there in it listening to 8 tracks and just being out of sight of the world.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 004716.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-20 004654.jpg

I always liked this picture of grandad's rig and of ours. I forget the year of the Dodge, but I want to say it was late 70's? Either way almost 50 years between the two rigs.

I never really got to travel with them, but I spent many a summer afternoon sitting in that green trailer reloading ammo with grandad or just sitting there talking. Those simple times are some of my all-time best memories I got to have with him. By that time, the trailer wasn't road-worthy, but it was his 'man cave' before that term even came into use. He'd sit down there in it listening to 8 tracks and just being out of sight of the world.

View attachment 2076

View attachment 2077

Ctech, just be glad you have pics.. I have memories of the same sort of thing. my parents throwing all of us in a underpowered full size American carwith a gas guzzling V8, a 3 speed automatic tranmission and no AC and towing a trailer and going camping for a week or two... I don't for the life of me have any pictures of any of that stuff. that stuff is lost to history anywhere else but in the recesses of my mind. Still picture some of it car bumper dragging the ground.

FWIW there weren't any tow police or internet, so you didn't know any better. :)

I know exactly where the Jerome photo was taken and can be there in 37 minutes according to googlemaps. The land photo could be early days Prescott Valley where we live or possibly Chino Valley just to the north. Prescott Valley was one of those sell land to Easterners deals that was advertised in the back of magazines. Any idea when the photos were taken?

I know exactly where the Jerome photo was taken and can be there in 37 minutes according to googlemaps. The land photo could be early days Prescott Valley where we live or possibly Chino Valley just to the north. Prescott Valley was one of those sell land to Easterners deals that was advertised in the back of magazines. Any idea when the photos were taken?
Should have been somewhere in the middle of the 70's. My aunt and her husband were in their early 20's by then.

--Edit-- She says she thinks it was 1977.

Last edited:
These two pics were taken that same trip:

--EDIT--

I believe this to be Camelback Mountain in Phoenix

1884.jpg
1887.jpg

Last edited:
I fooled around on Google Earth a bit. Their photo was taken at the edge of this pull-over spot as was the one Wayne found. It would be easy to exactly duplicate. Notice the house on the far right middle of their photo, it's completely surrounded by tall arborvitae now.

Big thanks to @Azjeff for the legwork! He was able to locate the property records for the property my grandparents once owned and where a few of the above pictures were taken.

This is approximately where the pics of them standing on the property, and their rig parked on the street were taken.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 192815.jpg