More defective manufacturer construction

Azjeff

2017 Grand Design 2150RB bought lightly used in December 2020. It was bought new by a guy who didn't seem to have much DIY ability so nothing had been addressed. I've been correcting things as I find them since we brought the trailer home. I was crawling around underneath the other day and found a couple of more things to deal with and one I forgot about. I've corrected plumbing, carpentry, and basic electrical flaws. Now I notice the drawer slides are shedding parts so that will be next. We really like traveling near and far and I'm just happy to be able to fix this stuff myself but do tire of the poor workmanship. GD has a rep for being better quality, I don't see it.

This fuse and the junction box behind it that holds the connections to the lights is mounted on the right side hitch diagonal member directly in line with the rear wheel of the truck, making sure it gets washed properly when we run in rain. I meant to do something about it but didn't write it down and it got forgotten. Notice the quality Lippert weld.
IMG_2445.jpg

This is looking straight up under the slide where the wiring umbilical from the slide to the trailer exits. The seal is supposed to keep water and unwanted guests out. Not exactly sure what to do here. Where this seal ends at both ends of the slide are open places as well. Not having mouse problems so maybe not a big deal but less than optimal and needs resolved.
IMG_2448.jpg

Just an example of who cares shoddy workmanship. Front right corner of the trailer box.
IMG_2447.jpg

Maybe it is time for a 'wall of shame' where people can post horrid work quality when they find it. Maybe enough shame will make these manuf's shape up (doubt it).

I like the butyl tape and spray foam method for filling those gaps.

Last edited:
2017 Grand Design 2150RB bought lightly used in December 2020. It was bought new by a guy who didn't seem to have much DIY ability so nothing had been addressed. I've been correcting things as I find them since we brought the trailer home. I was crawling around underneath the other day and found a couple of more things to deal with and one I forgot about. I've corrected plumbing, carpentry, and basic electrical flaws. Now I notice the drawer slides are shedding parts so that will be next. We really like traveling near and far and I'm just happy to be able to fix this stuff myself but do tire of the poor workmanship. GD has a rep for being better quality, I don't see it.

This fuse and the junction box behind it that holds the connections to the lights is mounted on the right side hitch diagonal member directly in line with the rear wheel of the truck, making sure it gets washed properly when we run in rain. I meant to do something about it but didn't write it down and it got forgotten. Notice the quality Lippert weld.
View attachment 1764

This is looking straight up under the slide where the wiring umbilical from the slide to the trailer exits. The seal is supposed to keep water and unwanted guests out. Not exactly sure what to do here. Where this seal ends at both ends of the slide are open places as well. Not having mouse problems so maybe not a big deal but less than optimal and needs resolved.
View attachment 1769

Just an example of who cares shoddy workmanship. Front right corner of the trailer box.
View attachment 1770

honestly, most RV's are thrown together by meth heads in Indiana working on piece work wages..
... even the hind end models like Designer Suites etc..
and I hope you have better luck with your Grand Design than I had with mine. Best thing every happened to mine was a forest fire.

Other than what I consider typical not-surprised sloppy build stuff it's been okay for almost 3 years and 17,000+ miles. Wayne's New Horizons has been pretty trouble free and surprisingly my sister bought a new Jayco 5th wheel in 2020 and it's been really good.

Other than what I consider typical not-surprised sloppy build stuff it's been okay for almost 3 years and 17,000+ miles. Wayne's New Horizons has been pretty trouble free and surprisingly my sister bought a new Jayco 5th wheel in 2020 and it's been really good.

the mechanical's on my Grand Design were fine... it was the expensive stuff like the rubber roof failing and the sidewalls being plagued with delamination that soured me on the POS..

This fuse and the junction box behind it that holds the connections to the lights is mounted on the right side hitch diagonal member directly in line with the rear wheel of the truck, making sure it gets washed properly when we run in rain. I meant to do something about it but didn't write it down and it got forgotten.
I would try to mount a waterproof box like this, or something similar, up away from rocks.

Notice the quality Lippert weld.
They crank out chassis so fast it would make your head spin. If I remember right, they make one every 45 minutes. Speed is paramount not quality.

Maybe notch the seal, then use some kind of sealer to seal the notch. Say that 10 times fast!

Speed of manufacture is highest priority. They probably figure nobody will ever notice.

the mechanical's on my Grand Design were fine... it was the expensive stuff like the rubber roof failing and the sidewalls being plagued with delamination that soured me on the POS..

Did the roof fail due to poor installation or material failure? Are the laminated sidewalls made by GD or do they buy panels and cut to fit? Just wondering what caused your failures. Can't blame a company if parts and materials they buy are faulty, but if they don't make an attempt to make it right that's different. I had one interaction with Grand Design and it wasn't productive. I was trying to find out where the control box for the Schwintek slide was put and they had no idea. I finally found it behind a piece of paneling in the vanity under the bathroom sink. You need access to it to see and clear fault codes and do reprogramming if needed.

Did the roof fail due to poor installation or material failure? Are the laminated sidewalls made by GD or do they buy panels and cut to fit? Just wondering what caused your failures. Can't blame a company if parts and materials they buy are faulty, but if they don't make an attempt to make it right that's different. I had one interaction with Grand Design and it wasn't productive. I was trying to find out where the control box for the Schwintek slide was put and they had no idea. I finally found it behind a piece of paneling in the vanity under the bathroom sink. You need access to it to see and clear fault codes and do reprogramming if needed.
material failure... roof rubber turned gooey.
I have no idea regarding how the sidewalls are manufactured..
I don't have any photos anymore, I Must have deleted them...

I had several interactions with GD, in the beginning they were fine and then it turned to crickets.

Case in point was a cracked wheel, Lionshead manufacture.
Lionshead says they have a 5 year no questions asked warranty.
Contacted GD about the cracked rim, they said it was my fault. LOL.
Contacted Lionshead. They told me I cracked the rim because I ran something over.
Don't know how Lionshead decided that because the tire didn't fail and it was on the drivers side but basically Lionshead told me
to go pack sand.

started complaining on Grand Design Facebook groups and found six or seven other people with same complaint about this particular style of lionshead rim..

the sidewall was crickets, out of warranty...

anyway, you can complain all you want, they just ignore you.

but since GD sells a bunch of trailer and now is owned by Winnebago, I hope your luck is better.

regarding the gaps where lines and wires extend through chassis holes and floors ...

consider using this "PestBlock" product from GreatStuff; it's specific in that the expanding foam has an additive that discourages the chewing by insects and rodents:
Amazon product ASIN B007TUF0FYavailable through many different sources; your pick

Last edited:
I just noticed last night while we were setting up that the cover for the kitchen vent fan has gone missing. Where and when I lost it I have not a clue. New Camco cover will be at the house tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much about it except that a blowing rain could get under the flap and get into the camper. Looking at the way it is mounted, it looks like the rain over just clips on. but the part they actually screwed to the camper is all warped and wavy, so there's no wonder the clips didn't hold. If I can't sort that out, it will be getting installed with some adhesive to back up the clips.

They do make some good stuff, but their cheap stuff is really cheap. If you know what I mean.
yeah, you can buy a Class A in base form or you can buy a Class A on the exact same chassis in hi end form, difference is in materials and bells and whistles. Not any different than any other vehicle.. I have a Ram Tradesman... cloth seats, rubber floor but same truck as the Laramie which cost 20k more when purchased, just not as shiny or with nearly as much of the dumb stuff that people spend all the extra money on.