Late Night Thoughts (Washing Machines)

ctechbob

Or, why slow nights at work lead me down many rabbit holes.

I've had to order yet another set of replacement 'shock absorbers' for our Samsung front-loading washer. I refuse to pay the $70ea for genuine Samsung parts since those only lasted 2 years, and the replacements are $30 for the set of 4 and last a little over a year.

There's not much to the Samsung piece. It is a chromed rod inside of a plastic friction-fit retaining collar with some grease that just provides friction to the rod. There's no oil or the like in there. They look much more involved than they actually are.

I actually started the journey on McMaster Carr looking for a bushing that I could press into the stock housing that would provide 'better' friction on the shaft. Something like a tighter-fitting PTFE bushing. Then the mind wandered to RC cars and their dampers (too small) and on to mountain bikes.

So, notice what I have open in my Amazon tab. (Yes, I know they are cheap chinesium)

When the new set gets here, the old ones are going to be measured and I'm going to try this idea out. The 'shock absorbers' in the case of Samsung do no provide any support or spring to the drum. They are just there for damping. I figure to dismount the spring from these mountain bike pieces, modify the ends to fit, and roll with it.

Of course, I'll check to see that the damping is similar. It won't do to have the replacements being super stiff since that would stress the bearings in the machine, but I highly suspect that these Chinese shocks just rely on super stiff springs and minimal compression and rebound for their damping.

1703052902005.png

Last edited:
@Azjeff would probably know the answer about the construction of bicycle shocks.

Last edited:
I just saw the notice I've been @. The thing I wonder about is if the Amazon shock has any damping mechanism at all or is it just a holder for the spring. You'll know soon enough.

I just saw the notice I've been @. The thing I wonder about is if the Amazon shock has any damping mechanism at all or is it just a holder for the spring. You'll know soon enough.
For $20 I'm going to order one and have a good look at it before I order 3 more. Be interesting at least, might be a dead end, or might be something worthwhile.

Should be able to tell pretty quickly whether there's anything in there or not.

Did you look on Amazon for those shocks? Search the part number. washer shocks

Wonder if you could take an old set apart and put in some of that super tacky grease they put in slow-close toilet seats?

Did you look on Amazon for those shocks? Search the part number. washer shocks

Wonder if you could take an old set apart and put in some of that super tacky grease they put in slow-close toilet seats?
It's not that you can't get them, it's that they're all garbage. The Samsung ones last about a year and a half (And are around $30-45 EACH, takes 4), the aftermarket ones last about a year if that.

They're a crap design that just relies on the sliding of a chrome rod against a piece of plastic for the 'damping'.

They do come apart very easy. That's what started me down the path. Started looking to see if there was a PTFE bushing I could use or something to that effect, then came across the shocks and decided that might be another direction. The super tacky grease would be something worth looking into as well. Probably some thick silicone like what they use in viscous couplings.

Part of me wishes my buddy still worked for KONI, he could probably fab something up that would last forever.

A very simple damper will be able to get the job done. The stock 'shocks' don't provide a lot of resistance, so it wouldn't need to have any special valving. A center divider with a hole in it and oil on either side would probably be enough.

I'm not sure how much his shocks cost, but he has worn a bunch of them out, so he would be the guy. @Azjeff
BITD I was riding harder and racing and bicycle suspensions weren't as dialed in as they are today. The joints would get all loosey goosey as the FRP bushing would wear. Mostly seals would start leaking oil and later on air in forks and shocks. I put 1500 miles on the mtb on real trails this year and added a bit of air 2 times maybe and the joints never get loose. Amazing.

Got the new set in today and took some pics.

A little hard to get a pic down inside these when you only have 2 hands available, and I don't want to tear this new set apart. Once I get the new ones installed I'll tear down the old ones and see if there is a simple solution.

Just plastic in there, with some grease.

1703217219360.png

Following two pictures are just of the amount of free play in the thing. There's a good 5mm worth of movement before it even has any resistance. Even better, it doesn't matter where in the stroke it is. If it changes directions, there is 5mm worth of movement before there is resistance, so the rings in there they use for damping move inside the case.

IMG_20231221_224905012.jpg

IMG_20231221_224911231.jpg

Length retracted, about 190-200mm

IMG_20231221_224943378.jpg

About 60mm worth of stroke. I'll have to look at one installed, fairly certain from the last time that it sits right in the middle of the stroke and it doesn't use all of it, but I can verify that when I get in there again. The rear two take about 10 min to replace, the front two take over an hour since you have to pull the entire front off the machine. Guarantied blood will be shed...always is.

IMG_20231221_224958051.jpg

Not sure if this is a better look inside or not, there is another collar down in there that looks like it does the actual damping.

1703217756624.jpg

First attempt arrived today. Didn't have time to do much more than snap these pics before I had to come to work. I'll see what happens when I knock the springs off, see what kind of damping they have and if they are pressurized. Nice that they come with a little bumpstop, I was wondering if I was going to have to come up with something for that. They are a smidge longer, not sure that will be an issue.

IMG_20231224_163143002.jpg
IMG_20231224_163217501.jpg