Lakeview Drive - Road to Nowhere - Bryson City, NC

ctechbob

I've known about this place for a while now and finally got the chance to go see it. Don't ask my why unfinished/disused roadways interest me, but I find them intriguing, especially when they have a tunnel on them you can walk through. It is a short walk to the tunnel and less than 1/4 mile through to the western portal.

It is a very pretty drive with views of Fontana Lake in spots. Like it or not, the Fed has just spent a ton of money repaving and lining the route with new guardrails, so in addition to being pretty, the road is in great shape. If you are into hiking, there is a 35 mile trail that follows the intended route of the road all the way to Fontana Dam.

I won't repeat the history here as the Wikipedia article is well done and full of information, so on to the pictures.

View of the tunnel from the parking lot.
IMG_20240209_150236302.jpg

Eastern Portal

IMG_20240209_150650505.jpg

Western Portal. It is pretty easy to walk up to the top of the stonework if you choose.

IMG_20240209_151246589.jpg

My 3 girls (Wife/Daughter/Doggo) for scale.

IMG_20240209_151449274_HDR.jpg

This road to nowhere reminds me of the bridge to nowhere in the San Gabriel mountains. I walked about half way back to the bridge and decided that was enough and never saw the bridge.

Yea, I'd done some reading on that one. It is a bit of a haul to get out there from what I understand.

10 Miles round trip. Dunno that I would be up for that hike either.

those are some rugged areas... my spouses step dad was born in in St Charles VA... which is about 100 miles due NNE of Bryson City but 3 states away.. we went up there late last year.. all I can say is those places are hard to get to and looks about the same as what you pictured..