Keeping RV woodwork looking good cleaning and conditioning the wood

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Once a year we thoroughly clean the wood work in the trailer and moisturize it with a light oil. The cleaner/conditioner is Liquid Gold, which contains "Hydrotreated light paraffinic petroleum distillate" better known as base oil. It is very oily if you get it on your hands. The wood shop manager at New Horizons said it will keep the wood from drying out and eventually chipping or cracking.

I apply it with a small patch of microfiber towel folded a couple times. Spray some onto the patch and rub it into an area and repeat.

IMG_4231.jpeg

The entire TV area is cleaned first with Sprayway, a light alcohol base window cleaner. I use this cleaner because it evaporated quickly and completely. You can see that the wood looks like it's getting a bit dry.
IMG_4226.jpeg

The Liquid Gold make everything shine like this for a few days until the oil is absorbed by the wood. Then the wood looks dark and rich.
IMG_4228.jpeg

Last edited:
my wife uses Old English and Murphy's oil soap on our wood furniture in the house. They seem to work well. This might be another option!

Just my $0.02