It’s a Dog’s Life (in an RV)

Karen

My husband and I are on a quest to visit as much of the magnificent USA as possible in our 5th wheel! Our sidekicks are Shandy, a 20-month-old female Chocolate Lab and Finley, a 6-month-old male Black Lab. (don't worry, that orange wall is NOT in our trailer!)

Shandy and Finley.jpg

Shandy has had quite a few travels with us in our Airstream already (which we just sold) – Texas, Colorado, Tennessee, Montana, Wisconsin and Michigan to name just a few. Finley will be starting his adventures this summer in our brand-spankin’ new New Horizons Summit 37 foot 5th wheel.

Being on the road with our pups brings us a lot of enjoyment, but let’s be real – also some challenges!

I’m hoping to start a conversation dedicated to all things Dogs & RV! How to keep them exercised while traveling? Where can they hike with their humans, and where can’t they? What products make traveling with dogs easier and safer?

Drop a comment if you’ve got a topic you’d like the conversation to begin with. And, please share your best rv-ing / camping pics with your fur-babies, and any helpful hints! Check back soon for updates!

Nice dogs. My dog would walk me if I took her hiking lol. She walks me to the end of our street and back three or four times a day. She is a lab named Dixie. She has never been camping before. She gets really nervous in the car and gets sick everywhere I’m not sure why. Look forward to reading your posts.

Nice dogs. My dog would walk me if I took her hiking lol. She walks me to the end of our street and back three or four times a day. She is a lab named Dixie. She has never been camping before. She gets really nervous in the car and gets sick everywhere I’m not sure why. Look forward to reading your posts.
I totally get that! Shandy can definitely "take the lead" when she sees something exciting! We are working on that! Sorry to hear that Dixie gets car sick. Do they make doggie Dramamine????

I totally get that! Shandy can definitely "take the lead" when she sees something exciting! We are working on that! Sorry to hear that Dixie gets car sick. Do they make doggie Dramamine????
Haha I don’t know maybe. I know if you have a treat Dixie will act really good till she gets back inside to eat the treat.

She gets really nervous in the car and gets sick everywhere I’m not sure why.
Usually after a few car rides the car-sickness gets better. Try a short drive around the block a few times before you go further. I'll bet she will get better pretty quickly.

Usually after a few car rides the car-sickness gets better. Try a short drive around the block a few times before you go further. I'll bet she will get better pretty quickly.
Thanks I’ll try that. She does better when the windows are open but if it’s closed she gets sick worse is what I have noted. Been like that since she was a puppy. But we were also taking her distances not short trips too.

Nice looking pup! Any favorite dog-friendly hiking spots you'd recommend?

In the Sequoias they didn't allow Dogs on the General Sherman trail, but Yosemite allowed Dogs on the Lower Yosemite Falls trail. Been looking more into it as she can do long hikes.

In the Sequoias they didn't allow Dogs on the General Sherman trail, but Yosemite allowed Dogs on the Lower Yosemite Falls trail. Been looking more into it as she can do long hikes.
That's great info! We are hoping to get back out to Yosemite as soon as summer of 2022! I'll put that trail in my notes. Glacier NP doesn't allow dogs on any of the trails. We were lucky enough to find some great trails outside of the park though. Stanton Lake trail was nice and dog friendly!

Bristol (the yellow Lab) was the best camper EVER! After he died camping just wasn't the same. A dog has a way of opening many conversations. Now we have another Golden, he is young and silly, he is a good traveler and behaves himself in public. He especially loves swimming in lakes. One thing I always make sure of, is that I have water and a collapsible bowl in the truck so when we pause somewhere he can get a drink and potty without getting into the 5th wheel. I don't think any of the National Parks allow dogs on any trails.

Will have to find some pictures, but here is one of slide.

20200724_161906.jpg

Recently did a backspash in the bathroom.

20200704_102712.jpg

20200619_145447.jpg

Been a great RV. California king and full residential frig...so not the best dry camper.