Indian Pass Raw Bar - Port St. Joe

ctechbob

Address: 8391 County Rd 30A, Port St Joe, FL 32456

I will preface this with. Any review I do on a seafood establishment will be based on my wife's views of the food. I eat practically no seafood, and certainly not raw oysters. That means beach vacations for me usually mean I'm eating crap food since most good seafood places have mediocre food at best for those of us that don't partake. IPRB is no exception, my cheeseburger was ok at best.

Any rate.

IPRB has a bit of a history in the area as being "The place" if you want oysters. Of course, the wife didn't have them, she had some stuffed shrimp which, according to her were outstanding. I will say, that from the oysters she did eat this trip, the ones we saw them shucking at IPRB were the biggest I'd seen all trip. This is another business that has come back after being fairly well destroyed by Michael years ago.

Something you should know before going there is that the place operates a little differently from your usual place. You don't get a server for one. You go in, select a table, and have a seat (There is another way you can do it as well). There should be two cards in front of you. A drink card, and a menu card. Get up, go to the cooler on the back wall, and get your drinks, be that bottled beer, soft drinks, or something from the draft dispenser. Note it on your 'scorecard'. This is all on your honor. They trust you to note what it is you are drinking and how many you've had. You can go to the cooler before you even sit down if you wish.

The menu card works much the same. Mark down how many you want of what selection and turn it in. Your food appears, you eat, you pay. No fuss, no muss, no pressure, do what you want, just don't be an idiot.

A pretty cool experience in my book, even though my food was just average.

I love raw oysters, but seldom eat them. Seems the whispers of my uncle, who is a scientist that studied toxicity in shellfish for his PhD, telling me to never eat raw shellfish, keeps me away. I mostly eat oysters in stew, which I love and don't get sick from eating them.

It's too bad their website doesn't use TLS (SSL), because google won't display their site in search results, unless you explicitly search for them.

Could you serve your own beer?

I love raw oysters, but seldom eat them. Seems the whispers of my uncle, who is a scientist that studied toxicity in shellfish for his PhD, telling me to never eat raw shellfish, keeps me away. I mostly eat oysters in stew, which I love and don't get sick from eating them.

It's too bad their website doesn't use TLS (SSL), because google won't display their site in search results, unless you explicitly search for them.

Could you serve your own beer?

Yea,I don't tend to eat anything raw except fruits/veg, and certainly not a slimy filter feeder.

As for beer, yep. you stroll up to the tap, grab a cup and fill er up.

Amazing, I've never seen that in all my years.
I'm assuming you're talking about the beer and not me not eating slimy things. :)

Me either, I would have thought there would be some form of statute against it, but apparently not. Things must just be a little more relaxed down there in Gulf County.