How to connect a 100 lb POL (Prest-O-Lite) propane tank to your RV QCC1 connector

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We have some seriously cold weather coming our way, like -15°F at night and 5°F during the day. Our 5th wheel has two 40 lb propane tanks, but you can blow through those pretty quickly when it's that cold. The last time we were here we had three days of similar cold. We learned a bit from that episode.
  • You can't have too much propane
  • You can have too little propane
  • Local propane retailers will run out quickly when it's that cold
  • There is nothing like driving from retailer to retailer when it's way below zero, because your almost out of propane.
The KOA where we are presently staying will loan you a 100 lb tank, come get it when it's almost empty, and return it full. This will give us 180 lbs of propane going into this cold snap, which will be enough for about 7 days when it's that cold. Plenty of time to get us through the propane scarcity that's about to come.

The KOA delivered the 100 lb tank tonight, but I can't hook it up because the tank as a POL (Prest-O-Lite) fitting, but the trailer has a QCC1 fitting. The solution is really simple, buy a hose with male POL on one end and male QCC1 on the other. Of course Amazon has those and will deliver one tomorrow morning.

POL to QCC1 hose:

Or you can get fancy and buy a QCC1 to QCC1 extension hose with a POL to QCC1 adapter. That way you can use the hose for dual purposes, connecting POL to QCC1 or as a QCC1 extension hose.

POL fitting:
IMG_4113.jpeg

QCC1 fitting:
IMG_4117.jpeg

Last edited:
I would have thought they would standardize the newer fitting across the board, or those are some seriously old tanks. Especially since you can use either connection with the 'new' fitting.

I would have thought they would standardize the newer fitting across the board, or those are some seriously old tanks.
I have only ever seen POL fittings on 100 lb tanks and up. POL seems to be the standard for larger tanks, unless I'm wrong.

Especially since you can use either connection with the 'new' fitting.
I'm not sure what you mean?

I have only ever seen POL fittings on 100 lb tanks and up. POL seems to be the standard for larger tanks, unless I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean?
If you have an accessory with the 'old' left-hand thread it works with the 'new' larger outer thread tanks, they still have the internal left-hand threads on them.

So it would make sense to me that you just put the newer fittin on all new tanks built.

Wayne said:
POL to QCC1 hose:
https://a.co/d/jbFg5Rh

Or you can get fancy and buy a QCC1 to QCC1 extension hose with a POL to QCC1 adapter. That way you can use the hose for dual purposes, connecting POL to QCC1 or as a QCC1 extension hose.
https://a.co/d/9bybRRS

I would have bought one of each. With my luck, during that cold snap, one would fail (or be accidentally damaged, or stolen) and I'd be without heat.

I've bought some propane grill hoses off Amazon before and had the Chinese-made hose collapse internally, and significantly reduce the gas flow. I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first; the grill would light OK, but just wouldn't heat up. At first I thought the regulator had gone bad, but it ended up being the brand new hose. It happened to me twice in a row; from Amazon. I'm sure Amazon had a batch of bad junk they got from a supplier. I had to switch to a different style/brand of hose to get one that worked right; I ended up ordering from Walmart instead. Not that I think Walmart is immune from junk suppliers; it just happened that way.

My point is that when you're counting on a piece of equipment from China to save your butt from freezing, you better have a back-up, just in case ... And check them functionally so you KNOW they work (not just assume they'll work).

Last edited:
My point is that when you're counting on a piece of equipment from China to save your butt from freezing, you better have a back-up, just in case ... And check them functionally so you KNOW they work (not just assume they'll work).
Agreed. The 80 lbs of propane in the two on-board tanks are the backup.

The tank adapter and hose are connected and ready to go. All I have to do it unhook the 40 lb tank when it gets empty and connect the 100 lb tank. The hose and adapter seem to be good quality.
IMG_4127.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg