Hitch pin lock preferences?

Azjeff

I had a 2" ball mount taken when I was parked at a flea market once, so I've had a Master brand locking pin since. This WD hitch head is a bunch more money and I'd like it to be there when I come back to the truck if I don't take it out. Anyone like one brand/type over others?

There are 2 styles, like yours with the grooves in the end and another type with ball bearings that are pushed out to lock the end on. Wondering if one is better than the other. I'm sure if someone is determined it's coming off.

Jeff,

A different perspective. When the clamp is tightened down they aren't going to walk up to is and quickly remove it.

Take a look the thread below. A good hitch clamp will stop rattles and thieves.

In the 250 miles I've towed this trailer I haven't noticed enough hitch rattle to consider a clamp. If 3/4 ton GM trucks all come with a 2.5" receiver and I have to use that sleeve it may be different. Did you ever think about welding the sleeve to the shank and eliminating one of the loose interfaces in the receiver?

Good thinking putting 2 of those clamps together (y)

Last edited:
Did you ever think about welding the sleeve to the shank and eliminating one of the loose interfaces in the receiver?
Yes, but if I ever sell the Propride and have welded a 3" sleeve to the 2.5" hitch, then I've limited sale prospects to only those with 3" receivers.

Some 1/2" beads would be easy enough to remove and clean up. I'm confused now, you have a 3" receiver and a 2.5" hitch?

Some 1/2" beads would be easy enough to remove and clean up.
Didn't think of that, good point.

I'm confused now, you have a 3" receiver and a 2.5" hitch?
Yes, maybe we are talking around nomenclature...

This picture is how my hitch is configured, 3" receiver on the truck, 3" to 2.5" sleeve, and a 2.5" hitch. I wish it were a 3" hitch, but I bought the Propride used and it came with the 2.5". The cost to buy the 3" hitch is like $300, so the sleeve will stay.

20200503_211516206_ios-jpg.124

I didn't know that 1 ton trucks came with a 3" receiver hitch. My 07 2500 Duramax had a 2" receiver, the Titan is 2", current 2500HD is listed as 2.5"

I didn't know that 1 ton trucks came with a 3" receiver hitch. My 07 2500 Duramax had a 2" receiver, the Titan is 2", current 2500HD is listed as 2.5"
It's crow eating time for me, as 3" was a total thinko on my part.

I meant to say, "This picture is how my hitch is configured, 2.5" receiver on the truck, 2.5" to 2" sleeve, and a 2" hitch. I wish it were a 2.5" hitch, but I bought the Propride used and it came with the 2". The cost to buy the 2.5" hitch is like $300, so the sleeve will stay."