Hello from Chicago!

scurvy

My wife and I have talked on again off again about getting an RV, and this year with COVID, finally accepted that this was really the only safe way to vacation. But after looking into the cost of renting one, WOW! We were pretty determined it wasn’t in our future then.

However the in laws had an old class C RV they weren’t using (they have a 32’ toy hauler bumper pull) and offered it to us to use this summer. So I cashed in a few frequent flyer miles and flew out to Cody WY and picked it up.

3581850F-1012-4F99-8FF8-5C0207BFA328.jpeg

It’s a 1989 Lindy 2600 built on a Ford Econoline 350, and state of the art as far as 30 year old RVs go! After some lessons on what was where and a shakedown drive, I felt pretty comfortable with it and got ready to leave early the next morning.

It took two relatively slow days but I arrived home in Chicago unscathed, with zero issues. We have since decided to buy it from our relatives who have offered it to us for a song and we are looking forward to taking it on vacation this year and many more in the future!

A thread will be forthcoming to document the repairs and upgrades we’ve already begun undertaking.

What a great opportunity!

It looks to be in very good shape. How many miles?

Do you have camping plans made?

So far it only has about 83,000 miles on it, although 1200 of those are mine now.

We are planning on driving it back out to Wyoming this summer and have already begun discussing other opportunities to use it this year. We began removing some old wood paneling in the back bedroom yesterday and discovered some water and mouse damage, and have started further tearing the bedroom apart. After discovering the construction method I'm confident we can fix all the issues and get it into better shape for our purposes.

Also on the horizon before any camping, quite a bit of mechanical catch-up maintenance and new fluids all around.

After discovering the construction method I'm confident we can fix all the issues and get it into better shape for our purposes.
That's good, there are some RV constructed in a way that makes them hard to repair.

Also on the horizon before any camping, quite a bit of mechanical catch-up maintenance and new fluids all around.
Like a good BITOGer would :)

A safety issue to think about - tires. How old are they?