Fresh water tank fill line troubles

dnewton3

Administrator
Staff member
Last year, I had to replace my 16 year old fill line to the fresh water holding tank. It was cracked at the lower point near the tank barb.
After such a long time, I guess I got my value out of that OE water line.
So I bought one in a hurry, down the road from the RV park I was in, because it was a "must have" (no water at the camp sites, so we had to fill at the potable water station).

Here it is almost exactly a year later, and I went to fill the tank, and that "new" (1 year old) hose has not one, but two large cracks in the hose. AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
That just ticks me off. The first one lasted 16 years. The replacement lasted 1 less than year.

The garbage in the market today is just depressing. Everything I find is made in China, and likely of poor quality.

Worst part of it is that the tank fill port barb is a bastard-size. You basically need a hose with ID of 1-1/8".
Why would the RV industry not use either a common 1" or 1-1/4" barb ?????

I love camping, but I hate the RV industry with it's poor quality, and all it's little quirks.

I wish, but not likely.
The tank inlet is a plain (non-barbed) nipple about 3" long, and 1-1/8" in diameter. Very thin material used to form that nipple. This nipple looks as if it was heat-welded onto the side of that tank; no ability to change it out.

Worst part of it is that the tank fill port barb is a bastard-size. You basically need a hose with ID of 1-1/8"
Is it a straight shot from the tank to the filler? I have a bunch of 1-1/8" black plastic water line that I'll promise you won't crack, but it will have to be straight, as it won't flex much.

I love camping, but I hate the RV industry with it's poor quality, and all it's little quirks.
Same here. The build quality is appalling. Luckily we really like it and I'm still up for the challenge of keeping the thing on the road.

Is it a straight shot from the tank to the filler? I have a bunch of 1-1/8" black plastic water line that I'll promise you won't crack, but it will have to be straight, as it won't flex much.
The barb on the tank is within a few inches of the frame.

But, you gave me an idea ... I could probably add a 90deg elbow immediately off the barb, making bending the tubing unnecessary. I'd have to do a couple of these to turn the angles required to get through the floor and out to the side-fill port.

The barb on the tank is within a few inches of the frame.

But, you gave me an idea ... I could probably add a 90deg elbow immediately off the barb, making bending the tubing unnecessary. I'd have to do a couple of these to turn the angles required to get through the floor and out to the side-fill port.
I found this on amazon, but it may be the same thing that you used and failed.

Amazon product ASIN B07B4MLWJJ