TSD RV diesel discount card review

I've been using the TSD RV fuel discount card for a couple months and have saved a considerable amount buying fuel. TSD Logistics runs the discount program and EFS administers the card.

There is a list of truck stop chains that offer discounts at various levels from a few cents discount up to around $1/gallon! I've fueled the truck and saved over $30 in one fill up. Paying $1.50/gallon makes fuel for the entire trip much less expensive than paying $2.50+/gallon retail.

The TSD Open Roads is a great app. You can locate stations that take the card and see exactly what you'll pay per gallon right on the map. After you pay, you'll see what you actually paid per gallon within seconds of shutting the pump off. The pump always shows the retail price and makes no attempt to tell you what you've actually paid, hence you must check on the TSD app. You can also route plan fuel stops for your route. Route planning works very well.

One catch is that you can only get the discount at a commercial vehicle pump (big truck fuel lane). The nozzles are large and most have a ring that prevents the nozzle from going all the way into smaller filler necks. You have to hold the nozzle allowing enough air gap for air to escape will filling. Unless you want a diesel fuel bath, do not run the nozzle at full speed. You learn quickly the rate you can fill, trust me I know from experience. Experience has also taught me that when you first hear the gurgling of a full tank, stop and do not remove the nozzle immediately, give it about 15 seconds to burp a couple times. Do not under any circumstances top your tank off, unless you want that diesel fuel shower. I've also learned to stand with my feet away from the filler, because there will be times when a burp spills a bit of fuel. Once you learn how to fuel at a high flow pump, it becomes a non event. Personally, I like fueling in the commercial lanes, because it's easy in and easy out, unlike the automotive lanes which can be a real challenge with a 30' trailer.

Pump etiquette. Pull into an empty lane and fuel without any delay. RVers are recreating and semi drivers are working. When done fueling pull ahead and let the semi behind you fuel. You can sit in front of the fueling truck until they are ready to move, but don't be that guy who blocks a big truck in his lane. Just don't do it.

Loves app. Loves has a fantastic app that allows you to put your EFS card info into the app. You can turn a pump on from your phone without ever swiping anything at the pump. It works very well. The only drawback about Loves is their discount went from about 90 cents/gallon to 26 cents/gallon nationwide. I really enjoyed getting 80-110 cents/gallon off while it lasted.

The screen prompts at commercial vehicle pumps are not what you're used to at regular pumps, as they have many more questions and it takes a bit longer. The main questions you'll get tripped up on are the questions asking you to enter the chains reward number and what you are fueling. Every pump I've been to give the option to skip most questions, but the one you can't skip is the "what are you fueling" question. The correct answer is "tractor" in most cases. We don't have refers, so don't select that. If you need DEF you can usually select that at the same time you select 'tractor'.

Currently the best discounts are the TA/Petro at about $0.50/gallon. When you sign up for the card you are given the URL and password for their published discounts area, but the app shows the same information, so I just check the app.

I was a bit skeptical about the EFS discount card, because I knew nothing about it. They are a legitimate company with a legitimate fuel discount card that has been around for a long time. Use with confidence.

Some suggestions when using the card:

• Install the app on your phone and use it to search for fuel prices along your route. You can input a specific route that it will search so you don't get results that clutter your screen.
  • The card only works in the truck lanes, without exception.
  • Wear gloves, the nozzle handles always have fuel residue on them.
  • You will quickly learn that once you fuel in a truck lane, you will never fuel in a retail lane again (while pulling your trailer).
  • The pumps are high volume pumps. Start out slow until you figure out how much fuel your filler neck can handle, else you will get a fuel bath.
  • Stand off to the side as you fuel (see last bullet point)
  • As soon as you get done fueling, pull ahead to the stop line so the guy behind you can fuel, then you can go in and settle your fuel.
  • There is normally ample truck parking at truck stops, but do not be that guy who takes the last spot. We are having fun, truck drivers are working for a living.
  • The best discounts are generally at Petro/TA, but others can be just a good.
  • You can pump DEF with the card the same time you get fuel, but there is no discount on DEF.
  • The card always works at the pump at Petro/TA, just learn the screen sequence and know your control number (PIN).
  • The card works at the pump at a few Casey's, but most you will have to go inside.
  • If you try the card at a pump and it doesn't work, just go into the fuel register, hand it to them and ask them to turn your pump number on. You will learn which stations you have to go into the fuel register.
  • When you are at your destination (not towing), use the Gasbuddy app and look for diesel stations off the interstate. Sometimes you will get a lower or similar price than what you get with your fuel card.

20200522_134105329_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
I've been using the EFS RV fuel discount card for a couple months and have saved a considerable amount buying fuel. TSD Logistics runs the discount program and EFS administers the card.

There is a list of truck stop chains that offer discounts at various levels from a few cents discount up to around $1/gallon! I've fueled the truck and saved over $30 in one fill up. Paying $1.50/gallon makes fuel for the entire trip much less expensive than paying $2.50+/gallon retail.

EFS has what I think is a great app. You can locate stations that take the card and see exactly what you'll pay per gallon right on the map. After you pay, you'll see what you actually paid per gallon within seconds of shutting the pump off. The pump always shows the retail price and makes no attempt to tell you what you've actually paid, hence you must check on the EFS app. You can also route plan fuel stops for your route. Route planning works very well.

One catch is that you can only get the discount at a commercial vehicle pump (big truck fuel lane). The nozzles are large and most have a ring that prevents the nozzle from going all the way into smaller filler necks. You have to hold the nozzle allowing enough air gap for air to escape will filling. Unless you want a diesel fuel bath, do not run the nozzle at full speed. You learn quickly the rate you can fill, trust me I know from experience. Experience has also taught me that when you first hear the gurgling of a full tank, stop and do not remove the nozzle immediately, give it about 15 seconds to burp a couple times. Do not under any circumstances top your tank off, unless you want that diesel fuel shower. I've also learned to stand with my feet away from the filler, because there will be times when a burp spills a bit of fuel. Once you learn how to fuel at a high flow pump, it becomes a non event. Personally, I like fueling in the commercial lanes, because it's easy in and easy out, unlike the automotive lanes which can be a real challenge with a 30' trailer.

Pump edicate. Pull into an empty lane and fuel without any delay. RVers are recreating and semi drivers are working. When done fueling pull ahead and let the semi behind you fuel. You can sit in front of the fueling truck until they are ready to move, but don't be that guy who blocks a big truck in his lane. Just don't do it.

Loves app. Loves has a fantastic app that allows you to put your EFS card info into the app. You can turn a pump on from your phone without ever swiping anything at the pump. It works very well. The only drawback about Loves is their discount went from about 90 cents/gallon to 26 cents/gallon nationwide. I really enjoyed getting 80-110 cents/gallon off while it lasted.

The screen prompts at commercial vehicle pumps are not what you're used to at regular pumps, as they have many more questions and it takes a bit longer. The main questions you'll get tripped up on are the questions asking you to enter the chains reward number and what you are fueling. Every pump I've been to give the option to skip most questions, but the one you can't skip is the "what are you fueling" question. The correct answer is "tractor" in most cases. We don't have refers, so don't select that. If you need DEF you can usually select that at the same time you select 'tractor'.

Currently the best discounts are the TA/Petro at about $1/gallon. When you sign up for the card you are given the URL and password for their published discounts area, but the app shows the same information, so I just check the app.

I was a bit sceptical about the EFS discount card, because I knew nothing about it. They are a legitimate company with a legitimate fuel discount card that has been around for a long time. Use with confidence.

View attachment 243
How did you get the card?

[edit January 15, 2024 - correct link to the TSD fuel program]
This is the link to TSD's site (Myopenroads) that explains the fuel card program

About half way down the page is this link - that's where you apply: Application at Myopenroads

Yes, they do need the personal numbers they ask for, if you want the card, then give it to them.

I suggest opening a checking account with enough fuel money for your upcoming trip if you don't feel comfortable giving them your regular acct #. Yes, I'm purposely obfuscating what I'm writing because some software sees discussions about financial things as casting a line and seeing what you catch (the other word for that).

Some people don't like that they ask for your SSN, but it didn't matter to me.

One thing I learned this past week is not to buy DEF with the card. There usually is no discount on DEF and TSD will charge their fees for the purchase, so you're effective price will actually be higher than the retail pump price.

Last edited:
We just returned from a trip to Austin and saved approximately $50 with the TSD fuel card, which is right at 25% savings on fuel costs.