Duramax losing prime

gobi

My duramax used to start at the first few cranks and recently it needs a few extra cranks,
Looking at Eric's (Merchant) website, I see that I probably have a leaky fuel filter head air leak. I probably need to get it rebuilt or replaced, Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, only 30k miles and every system is leaking fluids and now this.

What year is your Duramax?

Link to Eric's website?

Last edited:
What year is your Duramax?

Link to Eric's website?
Eric owns a small diesel shop close to me in Zeeland, MI.
He is a pioneer and gawd in duramax technology,

Here is the article I was referring to:

My Auto:
2008 new body style, long bed CC, LT, 2500, 30k miles.

Thanks for the link to Eric's site.

Does Eric's shop make the leaky fuel filter head kit?

Thanks for the link to Eric's site.

Does Eric's shop make the leaky fuel filter head kit?
Yeah, they machine a few different solutions, but I might be sticking to the factory head, it lasted 13 years, did not have the time to research, so the safe bet is GM else, plus the dealership I bought my truck from is 2 miles from my house, I can walk back home after I drop off the truck :).

That has to be a bit aggravating. Could this be a case of your truck not getting run enough you've averaged 2300 miles a year for 13 years. What else is leaking?

The 07 LBZ I had would get hard to start if I went too long on the fuel filter and it didn't have to be much over 10k miles.

That has to be a bit aggravating. Could this be a case of your truck not getting run enough you've averaged 2300 miles a year for 13 years. What else is leaking?

The 07 LBZ I had would get hard to start if I went too long on the fuel filter and it didn't have to be much over 10k miles.
Fuel filter is done early at dealer, the current filter has 6k miles on it possibly, I will check the miles with dealer when it was done.
it is fine if I start it back to back but as you can see my uber pricezzin truck SITS a lot ;-)

everything, I mean all systems except for the front and rear diffy is leaking. I am going to have them look at the leaks,.

called the dealer, the head unit with filter si $169, I guessing couple of hours of labor to replace it. not sure if Eric's part is mucho superior.

azjeff, you might be on the money, looking at receipts I see I have gone 9k miles, I am changing filter at dealer this weekend, see if that fixes it, keeping my fingers crossed.

If you get a no start again have somebody pump the priming button on the filter housing as you crank it. That got me going and to a NAPA for a new filter while on a camping trip.

If you get a no start again have somebody pump the priming button on the filter housing as you crank it. That got me going and to a NAPA for a new filter while on a camping trip.
it starts but takes a few extra cranks first time after it sits.

Update:
Went dealer and had filter changed, filter was at 60% life left.

Took only a few extra cranks to start up at dealer (Sat Day)

Parked it at home.
Today (4th day) I started it and took like 6 cranks to start, drove 3 blocks around back to to pick up some cash. Turn truck off and restarted it and started up faster but still took like 4 cranks.

Drove 10 miles to costco and parked it went in and picked up meds, came out and truck started on 2nd crank.

Not sure if switching the filter made it WORSE, lol.

Took it out again yesterday, and it was BETTER, started on the 3rd or 4th crank after sitting for a few days. I am going to change the oil tonight (cool 74F today).

The dealership messed up the fuel filter change, the truck sat for few more days and WON'T start at all, it is leaking diesel like a duramax. the front smell of diesel and there is a puddle underneath the pass side front behind the wheel.
Having it towed to the dealership,

Not looking forward to dealing with the dealer.
duramax_diesel_leak.jpg

How frustrating. With some care and attention to detail, the filter o-rings can be installed correctly.

How frustrating. With some care and attention to detail, the filter o-rings can be installed correctly.
yeah, dealership replaced the filter head and a sensor and when I picked up after it sat overnight, it started up after 1.5 cranks,
I have it sitting I will test it tomorrow.
no diesel leaking :) when I checked in the morning while I was out mowing.

truck sat till Monday night and started right up, phew, nice to have a truck that starts right up.

The sensor (dunno know part #) and filter head was replaced.

Gotta love Ford supporting Chevy, can ya feel the love?
ford_chevy_support.jpg

truck sat till Monday night and started right up, phew, nice to have a truck that starts right up.

The sensor (dunno know part #) and filter head was replaced.
Glad you got it worked out!!

Gotta love Ford supporting Chevy, can ya feel the love?
Us Chevy guys have a hard time looking at that picture, it just isn't right.

Us Chevy guys have a hard time looking at that picture, it just isn't right.
I hear ya, I was bit shocked when I looked up and saw the bow tie peeking, it just did not seem right, next time I need to put on my tow request "No Fords"

Glad you got the issue fixed. Glad my Ford wins LOL. I’m just giving you a hard time. I can’t say much as I am getting a boat from a friend with a Chevy 305 engine haha. And it’s free so more money for repairs 😂. I will probably buy a Ford to tow it with.