Dry graphite spray lubricant for slides

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I was using white lithium spray grease on our slide arms, but there was enough binding that we broke a shear pin at a truck stop in Iowa. Turning the slide in with a crescent wrench wasn't all that much fun! We were going to New Horizons to get a couple things fixed, so we had them fix the slide as well. They advised that the spray on graphite lube seems to work better, so I gave it a try.

Works better is an understatement. The graphite doesn't attract road grime and the slides make no scraping or binding noises. I plan on reapplying the graphite every couple times we use the trailer. It's easy and takes about five minutes. A word of caution, don't get it on yourself or your clothes. It is hard to get off your skin and it doesn't come out of your clothes.

IMG_1125.JPG

The white lithium is hard to get distributed easily and attracts grime.

IMG_1084.JPG

The graphite goes on nice and even and the slide looks like it's been painted.

IMG_1085.JPG

Update

Since I sprayed the slides with dry graphite, they move in and out like butter and make no noise. I have reapplied once and can see that they should be sprayed every few times the slides are moved. It takes about 5 minutes to spray all of them and it saves a ton of time and PITA fixing a shear pin.

Update: As I stated above, the graphite lubricant is it doesn't attract road grime when you tow in the rain. We pulled the trailer several hundred miles in the rain and about 10,000 miles since I first applied the graphite and I am amazed at how clean the rails stay. If you wipe the rails with a rag, pretty much all you get it graphite. The is amazing stuff.