De-Bunking the Travel Trailer (And then re-bunking it)

ctechbob

Worked on this little project today. Ran out of carpet in the end, so I'll have to go back in and re-cover the side and back supports when more gets here.

Lot of people rip out the upper bunks in bunkhouse models, but I haven't seen many that make the space convertible so that you can still use the upper bunk if you choose. That's what I set out to do today. We generally don't need the top bunk, but it will be nice to have when the nephews come with us. It definitely opens up the lower bunk and makes it a much nicer place to be instead of feeling like you're in a coffin.

Just before I started this morning. I'd already pulled up the decking, but since they built the bunks before the rest of the camper, I needed to cut the one piece of decking before I could get it out, it got re-used in the rest of the build.

The mattress for the top just lives under the ones for the bottom bunk, although I think I'm going to replace those with a single hybrid twin sized mattress. I'm also going to carpet the bare wood on the lower bunk the same as the top. I don't like that there's nothing 'soft' on top of the bare wood.

IMG_20231230_110333851_HDR.jpg

The new main dividing support. 2x4 and 2x2 screwed and glued together.

IMG_20231230_115501804_HDR.jpg

After removing a section of the top bunk. Leaving the other half as installed.

IMG_20231230_125318950.jpg

Apparently I didn't stop and take any pictures of the build-up of the permanently attached side.

99% finished on that side in this view. Carpet wraps the new divider and top side of the bunk/shelf.

IMG_20231230_134630585.jpg

3d Printed guards installed. These just push in to holes in the 2x2.

IMG_20231230_140142494_HDR.jpg

Test fitting removable panel.

IMG_20231230_155707235.jpg

Finished/covered panel

IMG_20231230_161750285.jpg

Everything (mostly) finished and back together.

IMG_20231230_200759556_HDR.jpg

You are going to have a completely custom trailer when you get done!

It's nice to be able to remove the top bunk when not in use. Less bumped heads on the bottom bunk. I'm surprised this wasn't an option for the factory.

You are going to have a completely custom trailer when you get done!

It's nice to be able to remove the top bunk when not in use. Less bumped heads on the bottom bunk. I'm surprised this wasn't an option for the factory.
If you haven't seen them, take a look at what Ember is doing with their 'bunk' area. It is fantastic and I imagine it will start getting ripped off in short order.

1704029275306.jpg

1704029435365.jpg

If you haven't seen them, take a look at what Ember is doing with their 'bunk' area. It is fantastic and I imagine it will start getting ripped off in short order.

View attachment 1933

View attachment 1934

honestly. looks like they copied the type from the type of adjustable shelving used in stores.. at a certain point in life I think very few original ideas actually exist, just a re application of older ideas..

trying to remember back in the day my Dad converted his Holdiay Rambler from having two couches into have convertible bunk beds ( there were 4 of us kids) and I remember he could collapse them so they were still couches.. thats 50 years ago...
but you are on the right track and I congratulate you for your ambition...

honestly. looks like they copied the type from the type of adjustable shelving used in stores.. at a certain point in life I think very few original ideas actually exist, just a re application of older ideas..

trying to remember back in the day my Dad converted his Holdiay Rambler from having two couches into have convertible bunk beds ( there were 4 of us kids) and I remember he could collapse them so they were still couches.. thats 50 years ago...
but you are on the right track and I congratulate you for your ambition...
I was thinking more along the lines of the way that commercial trailers secure their loads. I think that is the same kind of cleat that they use in their walls.

Gotta love typical TT construction in your first pics. Well done mod. That bunk area looks like a nice bike garage to me with the top bunk removed.