Checking brakes on a Dexter Nev-R-Lube axle - How to remove the hubs

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We have an Airstream with tandem Dexter Nev-R-Lube axles. Dexter's interval to check the brakes for wear is 12,000 or 1 year. Our Airstream has 16,000, so I figured it was past time to do a brake inspection. I prefer to do as much work myself as possible. If you work on your own equipment, and make yourself become familiar with how it work, you are a lot better off handling problems when they arise. It took me hours to find the correct manual from Dexter then Googling for a demonstration video on how to correctly pull the hubs. There weren't any videos that showed the complete process, so I made one.

If you work on your own equipment, and make yourself become familiar with how it work, you are a lot better off handling problems when they arise.

Exactly Wayne, was the only way I was able to get my unit back on the road in the thread where I discuss my bearing failure.
So Wayne this is your Axle? This is a sealed bearing? I have never seen a trailer axle with snap rings.

Mike,

Yes, this is our 30' Airstream with sealed cartridge bearing Dexter axles. I read Dexter quit making axles with cartridge bearings, but who knows. The cartridges have standard Timken part numbers, so they will be available basically forever. I too had no idea cartridge bearings have ever been used on trailer axles. The dealer was going to charge me $300/axle to repack the bearings. I suspect the scheduler didn't know these are sealed bearings. I decided to do it myself and discovered they are sealed bearings when I called Dexter to get part numbers for the seals. The video shows that removing the hubs isn't hard, you just need a darn good snap-ring plier, as the large snap ring is STRONG.

Wayne

I have replaced cartridge bearings on Saturn cars.i have a press. Never have seen one on a travel trailer.
My first trailer had basic tapered bearings(alko axle). I checked and greased those every spring. Setting the correct bearing preload is skill.

My previous and current tt have dexter ez lube axles. I grease them twice a year. I jack up and spin the wheel as I pump on grease SLOWLY so you don't force grease past the seals onto the brakes.
I really have never taken a set of these down.
I have a lot of miles on the previous tt with out disassembly.
I feel for any play or bearing roughness as I spin the wheel.

"If you work on your own equipment, and make yourself become familiar with how it work, you are a lot better off handling problems when they arise."

Ditto 100x.