Carlsbad Caverns

Now I can't wait for a trip to the caverns! It's a shame we cancelled twice.

Were there crowds? We just got back from Zion and Grand Canyon and found only light crowds, much different than visiting during peak.

Caverns were by appointment only...so at 8:30 a.m. (first time slot) there was hardly anyone around. Second time (8:30 a.m.) we did the hike to the Cavern and wasn't too bad. When we left later (both days) it was more busy. Earlier appointment seemed to be the ticket to avoiding crowds.

Great pictures. Looks like it was a fun trip. I’m the only one in my family who hasn’t been to New Mexico 🙁. And nice RV as well. Is that an old Dodge Durango behind it? That is my favorite style of Durango.

Great pictures. Looks like it was a fun trip. I’m the only one in my family who hasn’t been to New Mexico 🙁. And nice RV as well. Is that an old Dodge Durango behind it? That is my favorite style of Durango.

Yes sir. 2003 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 V8 (last year of the 5.9). Been a great truck for us.

We hit Carlsbad, Roswell and Alamogorda in 2022. Lots and Lots of things to see and do in that area. We went to Hatch for the Chile Festival via Las Cruces. We came into Alamogorda from the east through Cloud Croft.
IMG_0893.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to Hatch for the Chile Festival
We drove through Hatch on our way to Arizona last winter. Stopped at a restaurant for some really good tacos. We would like to go there for the chile festival, probably crowded though.

We came into Alamogorda from the east through Cloud Croft.
Did you happen to stop at Cloudcroft Brewing? Fun brew pub with live music and good food. Pulling the trailer on US-82 through Cloudcroft would be a bit challenging.

We didn’t stop in Cloud Croft. It was storming just east of there and wanted to get on to Alamogorda and get set up before it started raining. We would like to go back and stay there a day or two.
I think we stayed at Buds Place in Carlsbad. It was a nice park but right next to a very busy street and it was a drag strip after dark.
We love going to New Mexico. We stayed a week in Taos in July of 23. Lots of historic sights including the pueblos which are still inhabited.

We stayed at the KOA and found it to be a really nice park.

Taos is on the list, maybe we'll go there in the late spring.
We’re wanting to go somewhere in the Four Corners area this year and to the Rodeo in Cheyenne, Wy.
We also hit Lincoln and Ruidoso when we went to Alamogorda.

We drove through Hatch on our way to Arizona last winter. Stopped at a restaurant for some really good tacos. We would like to go there for the chile festival, probably crowded though.

Did you happen to stop at Cloudcroft Brewing? Fun brew pub with live music and good food. Pulling the trailer on US-82 through Cloudcroft would be a bit challenging.
That’s the way we came and it wasn’t bad at all. The speed limit is 35-45 mph so nobody is getting crazy. There was a truck in one of the runaway ramps. Glad we missed that happening. Hills are not a problem for our truck with the exhaust brake going down and the Cummins going up.