Camco high flow water filter cut apart

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I've wondered how these are constructed and how much carbon filter is in them. I cut the ends of this one off with a hack saw. It was in use for one season a couple years ago and has been sitting for at least 18 months, so anything growing in it surely isn't the fault of the filter. I was surprised how much carbon is in the filter. The flow with these is ok, but we've moved to the ClearSource RV filter, which flows more than you can possibly use in an RV.

Flow direction arrow is visible on the label

20201213_185350355_iOS.jpg

The input end has a strainer and a quad circle plastic piece that keeps the foam strainer firmly against the granular carbon.
20201213_185423715_iOS.jpg

The output end has a plug that fits against the foam so all the water is forced through a second depth filter, probably to remove any tiny pieces of carbon that get past the foam.
20201213_185446517_iOS.jpg

The depth filter cut
20201213_185456409_iOS.jpg

Foam removed from the input end showing carbon
20201213_185555367_iOS.jpg

Foam removed from the output end showing carbon
20201213_185536300_iOS.jpg

Looks good, there is a lot of carbon in there! I have never used a water filter. I never know how to make sure nothing grew in it between trips. I worry about mold and bacteria growing there, even if its only a week.

I have never used a water filter.
I have never not used a water filter :) I've mentioned that we have used the Clearsource filter for the last couple years. The filters are contained in a spin-on housing, so they can be removed. The volume of sediment and iron staining in the first filter is surprising. I'll see if I can get some pictures after our next trip.

I worry about mold and bacteria growing there, even if its only a week.

For sure. That's one of the reasons I like the Clearsource filter, after a trip I spin the filters off, drain them, and let them dry so nothing can grow in them. I've used the same two filters (sediment filter and carbon filter) for two years. They have a huge capacity and can be reused as long as nothing gets a chance to grow in them.

I have never not used a water filter :) I've mentioned that we have used the Clearsource filter for the last couple years. The filters are contained in a spin-on housing, so they can be removed. The volume of sediment and iron staining in the first filter is surprising. I'll see if I can get some pictures after our next trip.

For sure. That's one of the reasons I like the Clearsource filter, after a trip I spin the filters off, drain them, and let them dry so nothing can grow in them. I've used the same two filters (sediment filter and carbon filter) for two years. They have a huge capacity and can be reused as long as nothing gets a chance to grow in them.
I have never really looked at water filters, but i'm going to check out the one you mention, sounds pretty good if they can be taken apart!

Thanks.

This is the filter. It's not cheap, but to us it is worth the price. Clear good tasting water and ample water pressure. We've used it 100 nights so far and are glad we bought it.

It's the two filter system labeled "CLEARSOURCE RV WATER FILTER SYSTEM"

Last edited:
We've used it 100 nights so far and are glad we bought it.
Update, I still haven't change the filter cartridges in our Clearsource. They are always dried between use and still flow very well. I can't come up with a reason to throw them out. They have been used about 300 nights.

In ye olden days they would use silver, which is apparently not great for you, but was good at killing swimmers in the water.
Our hot tub has a silver compound in the sanitizer cartridge that goes in the filter. I can't tell that it does anything, but I always make sure there is a good one in there.