Archway Museum over I-80 Kearney Nebraska

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We probably drove under the Archway Museum a dozen times before we stopped to check it out. This is a great museum about the history of Platte River area. There is ample parking for RVs and they allow overnight parking.

If you have the opportunity, it's a great stop!

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

Last edited:
Original post updated with a photo gallery shot inside the museum.

I associate Kearney NE with Baldwin and Hastings filters.
Did not know there was anything else there.
I have been thru there.

I associate I 80 with the path of the first Transcontinental Railroad.
I believe I 80 follows the same path within a few miles of the original railroad
which is pretty impressive when you figure the pathfinders did it all the hard way
on horseback and with chains and rods for surveying.

Last edited:
Did not know there was anything else there.
The museum is over I-80, so the next time you're through that area, I promise you can't miss it. I think the museum is a must-see if you like history.

I associate I 80 with the path of the first Transcontinental Railroad.
I believe I 80 follows the same path within a few miles of the original railroad
Yes, for much of the route through Nebraska.

There is a great boon docking place at the golden spike tower in North Platte. It's also right next to Bailey the largest rail yard in the world.

which is pretty impressive when you figure the pathfinders did it all the hard way
on horseback and with chains and rods for surveying.
When I travel between Omaha and Cheyenne, I imagine how difficult it was to build the railroad there and there are no mountains in the way.

Just a side note. Fuel can be pretty pricey on i80 in Nebraska West of Lincoln. Some of the prices displayed are for only one pump at the station, the rest of the pumps with the same product is significantly higher.

I have found the wal mart in ogalla to have the best diesel and unleaded prices West of Lincoln, easy off and on from I 80, and a great fuel stop if one is heading to Denver on i76 or Cheyenne on I80.

Just a side note. Fuel can be pretty pricey on i80 in Nebraska West of Lincoln. Some of the prices displayed are for only one pump at the station, the rest of the pumps with the same product is significantly higher.

I have found the wal mart in ogalla to have the best diesel and unleaded prices West of Lincoln, easy off and on from I 80, and a great fuel stop if one is heading to Denver on i76 or Cheyenne on I80.

How in the %$^$..........

Learn something every day. How in the hell has Nebraska not fixed this by now? Article I'm reading is from 2017.

--Edit--

I can think of an excellent advertising opportunity though. Advertised price is what all of the pumps are, but one of them discounts by 30% at random when you pick up the nozzle to fuel up. Gas pump lotto!!! Buc-ee's would have a blast with it.

I use this to find my next fuel stop, ahead of time as well as the fuel discount card app... either zoom in or know the prospective area's zip code and search... and set the filter to the type of fuel you want ( diesel, reg, premium etc)

Some of the prices displayed are for only one pump at the station, the rest of the pumps with the same product is significantly higher.
I can't say I've ever seen that in Nebraska. I've driven that route a lot in the last year, but I'm mostly getting diesel with one of my discount cards or getting E-85, which mostly is a bargain.

I can't say I've ever seen that in Nebraska. I've driven that route a lot in the last year, but I'm mostly getting diesel with one of my discount cards or getting E-85, which mostly is a bargain.
Here is one example- note the defendant won the case. Of note, I was a "victim" of this, and in my quest to not let this happen again I discovered the Wal Mart in Ogallala.

The lawsuit alleges that along Interstate 80, Wilkinson’s Fat Dogs had been advertising gas prices at prices that were much lower than other gas stations in the Wilkinson, Neb., area. But the plaintiffs said the advertised gas prices were available at only a couple of pumps at each Fat Dogs site, and that signage alerting visitors to limited availability were “substantially smaller signs, which are difficult to read and visible only once the motorist has pulled into defendant's gas station.”

One of the plaintiffs, Allison Cramer, pulled up to a Fat Dogs site in Lincoln, Neb., drawn by an advertised price she saw from a highway sign of $2.44 per gallon, according to the lawsuit. But once she filled up with fuel, she saw she had actually paid $2.89 per gallon. The Fat Dogs employee refused to reimburse her for the difference. The lawsuit says six Fat Dogs sites along I-80 near Grand Island, Lexington, Lincoln, North Platte, Ogallala and Sidney, were engaging in the same deceptive pricing.

Wal Mart in Ogallala
We've been to that WalMart and the WalMart gas station many times. The Fat Dogs is straight east of the WalMart across NE-61. That's pretty darn shady pulling a per gas pump pricing like that.