A warning to all 5th wheel owners - don't just look at the latch bar pin, really see it

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
When you hook up to your 5th wheel, you must see that the latch pin is fully engaged. I get into the back of the truck to hook up the break-away and look directly at the latch bar pin. I did my normal routine, but didn't actually SEE the latch bar pin. It was dark, I was distracted, blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses.

The result.

IMG_0434.JPG

photo_2022-05-05_16-15-30.jpg

The hitch is fixed, but the truck won't be fixed until at least July. Trailersaver sent me new shocks at a reasonable price and included the new pins, which was very nice of them. My friend owns a shop and did the welding, I did most of the grinding.

photo_2022-05-05_18-48-21.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-05-05-18h50m22s586.png

This video give a good explanation of the latch. What I didn't do is make sure the latch pin was in the locked position. I looked at the bar and it 'looked' locked.

but that hurts to look at!
Yes it sure does. Stupid mistake, but it can be fixed and I won't do it again.

I personally know three other people who have done the same thing to their 5th wheel RVs. Two of them are professional truck drivers. We all knew better. I talked to a body shop in Texas, they said they fix about one truck/week that this has happened to. The moral of the story is that it is very easy to do, very.

Thanks for posting! Things like this help others! I will remember this should i ever move to a fifth wheel.

Thanks for posting! Things like this help others! I will remember this should i ever move to a fifth wheel.
From now until forever, when I'm connecting the break-away cable, I will look at the latch pin and touch it and say, "Locked".

It happens man. Just glad that you didn’t get injured or anything. Too bad you can’t get the truck fixed till July though. This is exactly like hooking up my dads tractor trailer fifth wheel if you don’t get it just right you will know it really quickly.

This video give a good explanation of the latch. What I didn't do is make sure the latch pin was in the locked position. I looked at the bar and it 'looked' locked.

Thanks for posting the video, very informative but also shows I have a lot to learn. Although I have never used it, I have the B&W 25k fifth Wheel hitch for the Ford puck system.

At the end of the video there was something I never saw before. The emergency trailer brake activation cable is hooked to the top of the rail of the driver side of the bed. Cool idea.

At the end of the video there was something I never saw before. The emergency trailer brake activation cable is hooked to the top of the rail of the driver side of the bed. Cool idea.
I can't say I've ever seen that or understand why connect it there?

I can't say I've ever seen that or understand why connect it there?
Something I recently learned, is that if a CDL driver hooks the trailer emergency brake cable to the same location as a trailer chain, it is a DOT violation. On my Featherlite gooseneck trailer, I would hook the trailer emergency brake cable alongside one of the two chain tie down locations in the bed. After learning this is a DOT violation, I will find a alternate location to secure the trailer emergency brake cable.

On my Featherlite gooseneck trailer, I would hook the trailer emergency brake cable alongside one of the two chain tie down locations in the bed. After learning this is a DOT violation, I will find a alternate location to secure the trailer emergency brake cable.
Interesting.

My 5th wheel doesn't have emergency chains and from what I understand they are not required anywhere in the US.

Interesting.

My 5th wheel doesn't have emergency chains and from what I understand they are not required anywhere in the US.
This picture of a gooseneck ball in a bed of a puck system, shows the two removal chain tie downs installed in two of the puck holes.

You, without intent, brought up a new concern for me. My gooseneck mount is not in the center, but I use the same holes as a fifth wheel mount- for a puck system. Since my four puck mounts are being used- where now will I hook up the two gooseneck safety chains. I see the two openings on the mount to do it- but these mounts are not independent from the assembly (see picture). I assume the chains may provide some protection only if the ball separates from the gooseneck female receiver, but provides no protection if the mount separates from the puck system. I understand a pull behind has a like design and exposure.
s-l1600.jpg
canvas.jpg

This picture of a gooseneck ball in a bed of a puck system, shows the two removal chain tie downs installed in two of the puck holes.

You, without intent, brought up a new concern for me. My gooseneck mount is not in the center, but I use the same holes as a fifth wheel mount- for a puck system. Since my four puck mounts are being used- where now will I hook up the two gooseneck safety chains. I see the two openings on the mount to do it- but these mounts are not independent from the assembly (see picture). I assume the chains may provide some protection only if the ball separates from the gooseneck female receiver, but provides no protection if the mount separates from the puck system. I understand a pull behind has a like design and exposure.
View attachment 2382View attachment 2383

fifth wheels generally don't have safety chains.. I can't think of any gooseneck I have seen that has safety chains either.

fifth wheels generally don't have safety chains.. I can't think of any gooseneck I have seen that has safety chains either.
Featherlite puts safety chains on their goosnecks, and all puck system goosenecks come standard with two mounts for safety chains. My 2002 F350 with the B&W gooseneck also has safety chain anchors.

Here is a one minute video showing the safety chain anchors.

GON, I get that... just saying as a proud owner of 3 different fifth wheels, none of them came equipped with safety chains.. trying to think if I have actually seen a fifth wheel or gooseneck with safety chains..
they usually have the break away cable that engages the brakes if you lose the trailer..

kind of like a tractor trailer.. you break the connection at the air lines and the brakes apply..

GON, I get that... just saying as a proud owner of 3 different fifth wheels, none of them came equipped with safety chains.. trying to think if I have actually seen a fifth wheel or gooseneck with safety chains..
they usually have the break away cable that engages the brakes if you lose the trailer..

kind of like a tractor trailer.. you break the connection at the air lines and the brakes apply..
I learned on this forum fifth wheels don't have safety chains, I never had a trailer without safety chains.

I just looked at two for sale used hotshot 49 gooseneck open trailers and didn't see safety chains- I understand your assessment.

In Iowa if you don't have safety chains on a goose neck, it's a very stiff fine. You even need to have a breakaway and the DOT will test your battery as well. If your battery is dead, you get to donate to the state.

In Iowa if you don't have safety chains on a goose neck, it's a very stiff fine. You even need to have a breakaway and the DOT will test your battery as well. If your battery is dead, you get to donate to the state.

with that sort of thing you are off in Commercial Vehicle Territory... and dealing with commercial vehicle laws and cops.. for sure I did not know goosenecks may require them, which seems to revolve around the technical requirements of a ball style mount and hitch assembly... which is definitely what it is.. a ball mount...

with that sort of thing you are off in Commercial Vehicle Territory... and dealing with commercial vehicle laws and cops.
My brother has extensive, like a million miles in the last 25 years hauling his own livestock. He isn't commercial, because he isn't for hire, but he is fair game for the DOT. His friend is a DOT compliance officer and has probably pulled him over 10 times in the last 20 years, just to say hi and check for safety issues and dip the fuel. The DOT is equal opportunity.

• Wow
Reactions: GON