A quick way to convert kilometers to miles

point 6 and 1.6 is all you need to remember for linear measurement and then the ability to move decimals around..

kinda like kilo's to lbs is multiply by 2 and add 10%... other way around is divide in half and subtract ten percent.

gallons to litres... I think is 3.79 litres per gallon.. then convert Candian money to American for the price per gallon. so a a dollar per litre is 3.79 a gallon..

for other linear measurement, the numbers to remember are 39.37 and 25.4..

pressure equivalents are 14.7 psi equals 1 bar equals 100 kpa... 100 kpa in one bar.. you can also express 1 bar as 29.97 in Hg... so basically if you have 30 inches Hg boost pressure you have about 15 psi or one bar of manifld pressure..

I worked with legacy equipment and endured the slow changeover to international measurement over my career.
some stuff would have a metric measurement stated in inches just to add another layer of confusion.

for instance they still offered bearings in .010 undersize dimensions, but that .0254" would be stamped on the back. there is that 25 point 4 measurement..

or 1 micron is 1/25400th of an inch.... there by showing up as that 3937 number in decimal form... of .00003937".

somebody I worked with used to say how do you remember that ****e and I said I just do because it came up so often depending on WTF I was working on..

Last edited:
growing up Canadian and making the transition these things are like second nature to me. I've always converted things to miles, gallons, pounds etc... The metric system is nice for math, but my brain likes the imperial system better. Might just be my age and my grandfathers influence.

1.6kms = 1 mile
1kg = 2.2lbs
3.79L = 1 gallon

Just my $0.02

growing up Canadian and making the transition these things are like second nature to me. I've always converted things to miles, gallons, pounds etc... The metric system is nice for math, but my brain likes the imperial system better. Might just be my age and my grandfathers influence.

1.6kms = 1 mile
1kg = 2.2lbs
3.79L = 1 gallon

Just my $0.02
if you are old enough as a Canadian you probably remember Imperial Gallons compared to
American Gallons being different.. I think it was 5 qts American in a Canadian Gallon..

metric is really nice as almost everything is expressed in either mass or from a linear measurement.. aka a liter is 1000 cubic centimeter but hell if I know how many cubic inches is in a gallon. :)

I betya the rest of the world thinks Americans are nuts for still using these archaic forms of measurement. LOL

if you are old enough as a Canadian you probably remember Imperial Gallons compared to
American Gallons being different.. I think it was 5 qts American in a Canadian Gallon..

metric is really nice as almost everything is expressed in either mass or from a linear measurement.. aka a liter is 1000 cubic centimeter but hell if I know how many cubic inches is in a gallon. :)

I betya the rest of the world thinks Americans are nuts for still using these archaic forms of measurement. LOL

I believe it was 4.7L to a gallon.

Just my $0.02

My brain thinks very well in base 10, but not so well in base 12, 3, 6, and all the other bases the standard measurement system uses.

I've heard the base 12 system in English measurement can somewhat be traced to the Vikings...its also in timekeeping and in degree measure.. itinerent traders the Vikings were, they used the 12 system when trading because most people were uneducated and while they could count using their fingers their brain couldn't deal in twelves and that is sort of how it made its way into the English system.. because the Vikings could get over on people using that base 12 system.. I don't know if the story is true but it sure makes for a good line.