A little fab project

Azjeff

I didn't have a jack that would work on a trailer axle, my bottle jack is too tall and I don't want to drag a floor jack along and thought maybe a scissor jack might work. Went to the local U-pick-it and hunted around and found this import scissor jack with a 2300 lb rating which should be more than enough. Had to hunt around for one that takes a 22mm(13/16) socket, most had a hook to use a winding rod. It was designed to fit the pinch weld but some 1/8" x 2" steel and some shaping and welding fixed that. The curve fits over the axle U bolts. Tried it today and my little 18V DeWalt impact will lift a tire off the ground or I can use a ratchet. I should have gone to the domestic truck/suv section of the yard to look for something bigger but it was hot that day and I didn't know if domestics ever came with a scissor jack. Hope I never use it. ;)
jack.jpg

Boy I’d be scared to use that lol. When I was working on my sisters Toyota it fell off one of those luckily my brother in law had placed a tire under the car so it didn’t fall all the way down and I wasn’t underneath of it. That’s why I hope you never have too. Also 13/16=21mm, 7/8=22mm 🙂.

Think about a trailer with 2 axles that's hitched to a truck. It's not going anywhere front to back and there are 3 other tires on the ground keeping it solid sideways. The trailer doesn't move in any direction when you jack up a wheel, only the leaf spring moves. Not worried about that at all. For safety I'd chock the nearby tire.

I have one of those extendable lug wrench sets with the double sided sockets labelled for SAE and metric and you're right I misread it, 13/16-21mm it is.

These are to change a tire not work under a car with. I'd never go under a car using one of these.

Think about a trailer with 2 axles that's hitched to a truck. It's not going anywhere front to back and there are 3 other tires on the ground keeping it solid sideways. The trailer doesn't move in any direction when you jack up a wheel, only the leaf spring moves. Not worried about that at all. For safety I'd chock the nearby tire.

I have one of those extendable lug wrench sets with the double sided sockets labelled for SAE and metric and you're right I misread it, 13/16-21mm it is.

These are to change a tire not work under a car with. I'd never go under a car using one of these.
Oh ok I see what you are saying now about the trailer. Sometimes I forget they make ones with four wheels. Yes working with one of those on a car is a death wish pretty much. I would not even feel safe changing a tire with one. Not after that one fell. I only did it then because me and him were younger than we are now and didn’t have anything better.

I think it's perfect for your application. Convenient that it has a socket that you can run with the drill and I agree that the winding rods are awful.