A Cross-Country Road Trip Where It’s Always 70 Degrees

GON

For those that like a very comfortable weather centered trip, this article might provide some ideas:

For travelers in search of the perfect weather, a climate scientist in Anchorage, Alaska, has mapped out the ultimate US road trip where the temperature is always 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brian Brettschneider in 2023 released an updated version of 2015 maps that plot year-long routes across North America using daily “normal” high temperatures from the National Centers for Environmental Information. His original trips span more than 9,000 miles coast to coast for the contiguous US and more than 13,000 with an Alaska stop — the latter also draws on data from Environment Canada.
65dff495b9ce7.jpg

That's interesting. Would like to see tornado and hurricane seasons overlayed on those routes. :oops:

Would like to see tornado and hurricane seasons overlayed on those routes.
April and May on the red route would have tornado risk, but I don't see any hurricane risk on the red or blue routes.

coming back from Alaska last year, we actually did the northern part of that route... aka US 2 across the upper tier and then down thru MI. it was nice for the most part.. fact of the matter was until we got back to coastal South Carolina I don't think I saw a 90 degree day for 2 months up thru Canada and back down into the states until we got to I 95 in SC...

don't think there is much a person can do about tornado alley, it is what it is and it isn't predictable.. whereas Hurricane gives plenty of warning and you can definitely get away from them if you need to...

Hurricane season is technically from June 1 to end of November but reality is peak of hurricane season is end weeks of August thru September...

11.jpg

speaking of hurricane threats... these charts are from the NHC, average return periods for canes.. first chart is average return period for major hurricanes.
return_mjrhurr.jpg
return_hurr.jpg

We were in the Corral Drive-In RV park in Guymon, OK September of '22 and had two tornados field goaled us. Each passed about one mile from us on either side at the same time. That will scare the heck out of you. We tore into down and ended up in a tornado shelter in a hotel.

My point is that an experience like that will make you think about being in an RV in tornado alley.

We were in the Corral Drive-In RV park in Guymon, OK September of '22 and had two tornados field goaled us. Each passed about one mile from us on either side at the same time. That will scare the heck out of you. We tore into down and ended up in a tornado shelter in a hotel.

My point is that an experience like that will make you think about being in an RV in tornado alley.
yeah, you can't prepare for them... all you can do is know if the conditions are right, you better have a plan of action in case you need to find shelter.... which might just be a ditch or under a bridge if nothing else is available. I think the whole USA eas of the Rockies is tornado alley, so there might not be anyway around that

yeah, you can't prepare for them... all you can do is know if the conditions are right, you better have a plan of action in case you need to find shelter.... which might just be a ditch or under a bridge if nothing else is available.
I was watching doppler radar and the NWS warnings. I didn't say anything, until it was clearly time to go. The hook echos were still about 20 miles away and I just calmly said, "get the dogs, we need to go right now." It didn't take any persuading.