2021 6.6 gas Chevrolet 2500HD

MIKE44460

I had a 2011 Dmax just over ten years. In case you are wondering why anyone would go from the power and torque of a diesel to a gas motor, the answer is simple. Emissions and a turbo one time. If the dealer I bought it from had a service department that kept up to date on what was going on my experience may have been much better. The DEF sensors had a change date. That date was after the truck was built. First time in, which was the first year I had it, if they were changed as directed by GM that alone might have allowed me to miss being stuck in Myrtle Beach for over a week. The last nail was the turbo. 42,000 miles, never driven in the snow and for trying to keep a nice truck in great shape, a $4,000.00+ turbo replacement.

So now this is the new tow vehicle just off of the transporter.

New_01.jpg

I am very happy with it. Our route is I-77 from Canton OH, I-73 in NC, then US 74, NC SC 38, SC501, SC22 to Myrtle Beach Travel Park, 654 miles. We made two trips last summer, 2,800 total miles, 8.5 MPG and I haul the mail. Just under 17,000 combined gross. It pulled up Fancy Gap with the cruise a 65 and the motor was not screaming. There is no comparison between this and the 6.0. Max torque is at 4,000 rpm and with the cruise set it will get close and just hold on. Although they say it is not required I run in tow/haul. if it hurts the mileage I don't know. Besides if you're in this as a past time and thinking about mileage you need to take up golf.

I catch a little grief because my good truck doesn't see the snow, well this one did and this was as far as it got.

NEW_02.jpg

BTW I have a Hensley, in addition I NEVER even considered a Duramax for one second. Loyal GM since 1969 so I never even look at anything else.

That's one nice looking truck. Exactly what we have, except ours is a dually, however looking at the front and cab, you couldn't tell the two apart, minus the front wheel.

42,000 miles for a turbo to fail seems way to early. Did you get any indication of why the turbo failed? Did you put a tuner on the truck or anything not stock?

@Azjeff has the same truck, just the GM version and seems to be very happy with it and he is a former Duramax owner.

The emissions after treatment system does scary me, but with a 30,000lb gross weight, the diesel dually was the only option.

What trailer do you pull?

Turbo, right on time if you don't drive it enough. It was throwing codes for awhile and sooner than later one would put the truck in limp mode. I bought a scanner to carry along, but as I said clearing the codes was only going to last so long. There is also a lot of noise on the injection pumps on the LML's as well. When they go they take out everything and "everything" is expensive. My son has a 2016 GMC he has almost 90K on and drives it all the time, knock on wood.

The RV is a 2011 31' Flagstaff FKBSS. The story on this is was and still is an adventure all it's own. The RV, Duramax were both 2011's. I had the Hensley and out of the three it's the only thing that hasn't had problems, although I had to make some personal improvements. I hope the L8T hangs with the Hensley.

Turbo, right on time if you don't drive it enough.
Was it the variable geometry actuator that failed or something internal to the turbo?

There is also a lot of noise on the injection pumps on the LML's as well.
I think yours had the Bosch CP3, which seemed to be trouble prone. As you say, catastrophic and expensive!

I had the Hensley and out of the three it's the only thing that hasn't had problems
We pulled our Airstream for three years with a Propride, very similar to the Hensley. Fabulous anti-sway hitches.

Our bearings did suffer from water intrusion and it was only in the rain a few times.

It was the vanes, they are supposed to cycle at shut down to keep them free moving, but rust and carbon tend to limit their function.
With the emissions you can't add anything to help lube the pump so they are all terminal at some point.
I had a option of the two and went with the original. I try to keep it covered for the summer and remove it for the winter here in NE Ohio. Never any problems so far. The adjustable stinger would be helpful, but an exchange is only shipping. Only done it once. The 2021 receiver required an eight inch drop verses a four inch drop on the 2011.

I had a option of the two and went with the original. I try to keep it covered for the summer and remove it for the winter here in NE Ohio. Never any problems so far.
The top dust covers pop off very easily, I would be curious to see if your have any rust from water intrusion.

Wayne, it swings full travel in both directions with no noise or roughness (I know bearings). I really don't want to remove the cap to check inside. I think I have had it since 2010. I got the **** scared out of me on the way to Myrtle and had shipped there and put it on for the trip home. I would say it has made at least 20 trips there, 654 miles one way, and one trip to Maine. It has been through many rain storms. I'll open it up in the fall, I don't need a can of worms right now as we are leaving next Friday.

it swings full travel in both directions with no noise or roughness (I know bearings).
When I put mine away one fall, I swung though its full range and not only felt the bearing roughness, but heard it as well. I knew I would find a mess when I pulled the dust covers, as I've repacked or replaced many wheel bearings. Hopefully yours aren't rusted and it sounds like they are in good shape for your trip.

Have a great trip and post some pictures for us!

I went gas, for the same fear of expensive diesel repairs. Since i won't put that many miles on mine. I will be out of warranty with really low miles.

Nice truck, i really like the color!

Last edited:
That is a nice color. The High Country package is really nice too. It’s a little too big for me though and not my preferred brand or body style of this brand. Lol. I’m guessing you mean Fancy Gap VA? If so that’s pretty cool I was just up there the other day. I’m just really surprised that a gas engine would be more powerful than a diesel.