2020 Ranger Upgrade - Blue Sumo Springs

ctechbob

Other than Bilstein rear shocks, this is the only other upgrade I've done to the Ranger at the moment.

Unlike old school suspensions (That use hard rubber bumpers), Ford uses a progressive urethane bump stop on the rear suspension of this truck. The problem with this setup is that the stiffness of the stop is little too abrupt for the relatively softyl sprung rear end of the truck, so when you're towing heavy the truck is bashing off the stops and it unsettles the truck.

Sumo advertises these as helper springs, but they are really just a softer, yet more progressive bumpstop that engages the axle a little earlier in its travel and gradually ramps up the spring rate as they're compressed.

End result is that the back end of the truck is not near as unsettled when you're bouncing off of the bumps on our countries glass-smooth roads.

Worthwhile upgrade and, at least on my truck, super easy. Two bolts off and on completes the job. Although there have been some reports of Ranger owners twisting off the head of their bolts. Simple way around this is to pull the factory stop off of its mountin cup and hit the bolt with a torch at the first sign of it tightening up.

1693704932267.jpg

Sumo advertises these as helper springs, but they are really just a softer, yet more progressive bumpstop that engages the axle a little earlier in its travel and gradually ramps up the spring rate as they're compressed.
I think this type of stop makes much more sense. The abrupt stop of the factory would give a strong rebound which transfers to both the truck and the trailer. The trailer would then rebound and jerk on the truck.

our countries glass-smooth roads.
OK - now that's funny!